In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

wood pile covers

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by rusty ranger 44, Jun 17, 2021.

1. rusty ranger 44

rusty ranger 44

There have been a lot of posts on Facebook about repurposed Billboard vinyls. They are 12-15 mil thickness and do not have grommets or pipe sleeves. If one is looking for a wood pile cover they come in multiple sizes. I am wondering how long they would last I for now will stay with my rubber roofing to cover my firewood.

Horkn, Biddleman, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

The reports I've had were all positive but I don't know how long they last. I would guess the rubber would last the longest though.

Horkn, Eric Wanderweg, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  3. billb3

billb3

Most of the 'reports' I've seen were from the people hawking the used material.
    Thousands of happy customers. According to the sellers.
    Thick rubber roofing should stand up to the sun and wind better than the pool liners , billboard sheeting and cheap tarps .
    If the price is right ...

Horkn and Backwoods Savage like this.
  4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Your rubber roofing will still be around long after the sign material is wadded up and in the dumpster.
    I got an old storefront sign/awning for free...the price was barely worth it...still better than those free HarborFright tarps, but that's about it...I like my EPDM rubber much better.

5. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I came across some old heavy duty industrial rubber floor mats that have worked out well. Only problem is I don't have enough of them. They're great on my shorter stacks though.

buZZsaw BRAD, Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  6. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

So far, black hardware store plastic, folded double or whatever it needs to cover the top and a wee bit down the sides. Its not pvc, the oldest piece still out there is since late 2019. Still in good condition, easy to move and store. And fairly inexpensive.

Sca

Horkn and Ashwatcher like this.
  7. Skier76

Skier76

I was given some rubber roofing to use. It works OK. Well, it works just fine actually. Stays put and keeps the snow off the pile. The problem I have is dealing with it in the cold. It's very stiff and difficult to move around. Add some snow to it and it becomes a bear to get back into place. For me, I prefer sections of old metal roofing.

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Must not actually be rubber...certainly not EPDM...because thats pretty much the same to work with summer or winter (and I have the thicker 60 mil stuff)

jo191145, Skier76 and Horkn like this.
  9. jo191145

jo191145

I got a billboard tarp from a job site some years back. Heavy vinyl, thought it was great. But alas the vinyl cracks and then they leak. It’ll out last any of that blue tarp stuff but eventually it’ll leak. Leaks in covers are probably worse than no cover at all.

Eric, stay tuned for my next post. :)

Eric Wanderweg and brenndatomu like this.
  10. Skier76

Skier76

It's got a shiny-ish surface to it and really slides around when cold and on snow. Difficult to unfold as well.

brenndatomu likes this.
  11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Sounds like plastic

Skier76 and jo191145 like this.
  12. rusty ranger 44

rusty ranger 44

Thats what I was wondering about, so I will continue to be on the lookout for more rubber roofing material.

jo191145 and brenndatomu like this.
  13. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

I was given a billboard tarp about 2 yrs ago. The guy that I got it from was covering his boat with it for 3yrs before that. Now its got numerous splits and holes and its kind of brittle. So I'd give one about 4 yrs max useful life. It was never waterproof either it kept snow and leaves off which is primarly what I wanted

jo191145 and brenndatomu like this.
  14. gboutdoors

gboutdoors

upload_2021-6-21_13-32-47.jpeg
    I use 20’ x 4’ lumber tarps from work. Last for two seasons then replace for the final season before using the stack. Covers 2 1/2 cord. They are white with lettering on them. Turn them inside out either black or tan. Look and work good.