In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Henry Owners here?

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by FatBoy85, Apr 20, 2021.

1. JackHammer

JackHammer

I think the garden gun is made for 22lr shotshell but I could be mistaken. It looks similar to the review I saw on YouTube.

Eric Wanderweg and FatBoy85 like this.
  2. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Yes, there's no rifling so bullets would likely tumble. Did they shoot any regular .22lr ammo?

3. JackHammer

JackHammer

I don't recall. I think I saw it last year so there are probably more reviews online now. I seem to recall that it is a newer gun on the market.

FatBoy85 likes this.
  4. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

First time I heard of a garden gun, it was a single shot that fired a 9mm Flobert cartridge. Looks like a short. 223 and had a shot card on the top or some similar kind of seal instead of a crimped end. They were mentioned more as used in Europe/UK. I don't know how many are active as a US used firearm. Effective as an all around kinda gun on a farm. It really is kind of a novelty but I say these should be more available or I'm gonna start reloading .410 with #12 shot and shortening the hull a bit.

JackHammer and Sourwood like this.
  5. Sourwood

Sourwood

I bought Kenzie and Richelle both Henry .22 for their 16th birthdays. They also make special edition me dels. The is an Indiana Sheriff Association model I plan to buy to present to one of my commanders upon my retirement.

Of course I would love to own an original, but would prefer a new truck or tractor instead.

FatBoy85 and JackHammer like this.
  6. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Bet the girls love them! Ahh the price of our "toys" becomes important. Too bad we can't apply for a reimbursement program for such things.

7. JackHammer

JackHammer

Got out to the range today for the first time with the 45-70. Wow, was that fun. Most of my ammo was fine but I did get my azz kicked with some jhp high-power.
    20210523_145609.jpg 20210523_112734.jpg

8. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

How’s the kick on that 45-70 in the Henry? That’s such an iconic cartridge, and one that I haven’t shot yet. Is that going to be your go-to deer rifle?

9. JackHammer

JackHammer

It is my only rifle so unless I get another gun, it will be my first choice. I have air guns but I wouldn't hunt with those.

It is a cool gun. I tried a few different types of rounds and they really had some incredible power. It feels like you are shooting a roll of dimes. People really complain about recoil but for the standard 300 and 400 grain rounds, they didn't hurt like i was expecting. Yes, they had some kick, but not terrible. I shot some hp rounds at the end of my set and they all went way high. Those also gave me a bruise, even though they were only 350 grain. At 55 yards, I don't think the ammo would impact the sight picture but maybe I was just getting tired. I don't think I realized quite how powerful they were until after 4 or 5 shots, then they started to hurt.

Sure is a sexy gun to roll up with. I got a couple comments and looks which was fun.

FatBoy85 and Eric Wanderweg like this.
  10. JackHammer

JackHammer

I got over to the range today with some interesting results. I had my sled which made things easier.

I was shooting pretty consistent tight groupings for several rounds with hornady leverevolution. When I switched to some of the flat nosed Stella or other stuff I had, I was getting really poor groupings. They were ok but not falling on previous shots.

Have you guys had similar issues? I know the round is flat but I didn't think that would change the shot as much as I am seeing. Like an inch, maybe 2.

Needless to say, leverevolution is a really good round. I could stand to see a little more heat but for a middle of the line, clean shot that hits the mark, those are better than I expected.

FatBoy85 likes this.
  11. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

That does sound odd to be off that much... Unless it's simply the fatigue factor setting in after a while. How many yards out was your target? If you ever want to get lost for hours on YouTube learning about different cartridges and ballistics, check out Ron Spomer Outdoors. He goes into great detail on everything ammunition and how to practically apply it.

FatBoy85 likes this.
  12. JackHammer

JackHammer

I will have to check that out on YouTube.

This is at the end of the range. I think it is about 55 yards.

For the orange targets, I was using the flat nosed rounds. I was still getting it sighted in so that has a little to do with it.
    20210615_180608.jpg 20210615_180601.jpg

And then these are all from the leverevolution rounds.

20210615_180639.jpg

...and then I shoot the hornady HP rounds and they always seem to hit 6 inches too high. :cool:

13. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Nice shooting Tex :thumbs:
    So that close of a range aerodynamics aren’t much of a factor. It’s got to be another variable. You getting less of a kick with the leverevolution rounds?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  14. JackHammer

JackHammer

:) Thank you.
    Yeah, probably a lot less, at least I feel it less. The grain is about the same on all of them. 300-350. How is it that a similar gr. round can have such a difference in felt recoil? The HP rounds are still 350 grain but they hit way harder than anything else. I can understand 5 or 600 gr. Those are like hot hand loads or into nitro express land. In my mind, these 45/70s should feel almost identical.
    Maybe I just have a case of the yips?

FatBoy85 likes this.
  15. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I think you’re subconsciously flinching very slightly in anticipation of that heavier kick. Having a spotter there with you can confirm.

JackHammer likes this.
  16. JackHammer

JackHammer

I guess I can shuffle the rounds so I don't know what is next. And keep practicing...

17. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

There you go. It’s just too bad ammo is priced as it is right now. Regardless I’m sure you’ll have no trouble taking down deer with groups like that. It’s not like you’re going to be taking 300 yard shots in the thick of the woods anyway.

18. JackHammer

JackHammer

I have been saving the casings. I might need to start hand loading if things don't settle down. We all might have to start hand loading.

19. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Shhhh. I’ve been going into the woods lately and saving other people’s casings that I find :whistle:

20. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

I had at one time an Alaskan Survival Derringer. Top barrel shot 4.10, 45 and 45-70!!o_Oo_O Don't even remember what the bottom barrel shot. A buddy shot a 45-70 cartridge through it, he swore his hand was numb for a week! Henry's are great guns. Follow manufacturers recommendations on polish used on the brass so you don't "cut" through the finish.