In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New starter on the mill

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by JB Sawman, Feb 28, 2021.

1. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I was having starter issues on the mill drive was not engaging properly I will try to post a picture it was miserable weather today 40 degrees and raining so I took the time to replace it it's a 17 hp Kohler/Lombardini diesel not a fun job tight area to work had to remove control box loosen fuel filter base just to get at the bolts took about 1 1/2 hours to do job starter parts were not available only complete starter @425.00 ouch!! I am going to take it to my starter repair shop and see if he can get any parts the drive is shot but motor is ok hopefully he can fix cheaper when I ordered from my distributor they had 14 in stock I think it might be a recurring problem for them to have that many on hand by looking at it I think the fine locust sawdust got in the drive and locked it up I will get pictures tomorrow JB

Cold Trigger Finger and Horkn like this.
  2. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

I don't I can like this post.

3. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

The good news is the starter shop said he can get me that starter for @180.00 he took the back off the motor while I was there and it was full of sawdust not worth fixing( expensive doorstop) the bad news is it will happen again no real way to stop it:headbang: but at least it will be cheaper next time also he said it will probably happen quicker this time because the mill is not clean like it was when it was new :hair: I had this same kind of trouble with skid loader starters and alternators when we did a lot of rockhound work in dusty conditions same deal dust got into drives and motor on starter JB

4. Erik B

Erik B

Is there any way you can blow out the starter as a regular maintenance duty? I have no experience with what you are dealing with so just consider it a possible dumb question:handshake:

5. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

We have the same trouble with the equipment in our chicken houses.

6. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

No real way to get to it I usually blow off mill after every use the dust is so fine it is like talcum powder it is tough to get rid of people do not even want it for bedding it is to dusty JB

7. Erik B

Erik B

No way to seal it up??

brenndatomu and JB Sawman like this.
  8. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

crankshaft goes out through a belt cover assy any kind of seal would just get chewed up by all the sawdust the belts are right in with the saw blade I saw primarily Black locust and the sawdust is just really fine I have worked on equipment where the gauges actually filled up with dust stopping the needles from moving this is a pain to change but the first one lasted 6 years and I have done a lot of sawing in that time JB

9. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

had time after sawing some oak for a customer to get a picture of where the starter is on my mill real tight to get in to top bolt was a bear to get loose lucky I did not have to take radiator hose off the bottom bolt is blocked by the fuel filter bracket and the control box had to remove all to get at the bolt DSCN0352.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  10. fuelrod

fuelrod

I often imagine (dream) having 3 phase power available for an electric mill.:whistle:
    Glad you found a $180 alternative :thumbs:

brenndatomu likes this.
  11. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

The only way I could afford 3 phase is a generator Three phase is on the poles in front of my house but it would be a 800 ft run to bring it in and commercial rates from Peco energy are rough plus the install diesel is still cheaper way to go at the moment JB

12. fuelrod

fuelrod

I've seen some good priced deals on military generators through "Government Planet". I've picked some items up in Shippensburg PA where they have a warehouse just off 81.

13. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

I believe TurboDiesel has had starter issues in the past.... :whistle:
    :rofl: :lol:

JB Sawman and TurboDiesel like this.
  14. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

My therapist gave me a prescription for it though.:p