In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Aquarium Buffs

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by wildwest, Feb 24, 2015.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

29H is still around but I googled a bit and seems the Marineland Eclipse are discontinued.

Mitch Newton likes this.
  2. Mitch Newton

Mitch Newton

I've been looking, can't find here in Dayton or online . May have to go to Columbus. I really liked that Eclipse hood an filter system but as wildwest says it appears to be discontinued.

wildwest likes this.
  3. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

I saw petco near me had an Aqueon brand in stock. But I'm about as far from you as poossible and still be in Ohio

wildwest and Mitch Newton like this.
  4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Camber and Mitch Newton like this.
  5. Mitch Newton

Mitch Newton

wildwest and Camber like this.
  6. Camber

Camber

https://firewoodhoardersclub.com/forums/members/wildwest.1396/ I've had bad luck with the aqueon tanks these last two years. Tw0 of my 29's failed at the bottom last fall. I've got a 55 set up right now with just two 10 year old goldfish in it. I'm hoping the silicone doesn't fail on it. If I get the time this spring, I'd like to build a 300 gallon for putting a warmouth into. That was my favorite fish when I was in exile in the south. The fiberglass epoxies have sure gone up in price.

wildwest likes this.
  7. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Substrate? Eons ago in the very beginning I had what I thought was natural gravel-actual rocks (not epoxy coated). Does that still exist? I don't want to go too fine, the special mineral sand I had for shell dwellers etc. was impossible to hydroclean without sucking some up ( $ down the drain, literally, except it was off my 2nd story deck, I could see it in the yard below).

Googled last night and today, found some after post this. Estes'

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

What is the recommended lbs/gal for an external canister filtration, the same 1.5lbs+, or less since, the beneficial bacteria will reside in the canister media?

I'm toying with the idea of keeping one filter plate still under the gravel, attaching the canister intake to a lift tube..... won't have to worry about things getting sucked in.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  9. Camber

Camber

That is very dependent on your waste load in your tank. I have two giant sponge filters that run off two three hundred gallons per hour water pumps on just my small 55 gallon tank. That is 600 gallons an hour. Or cycled ten times an hour. This is an extremely high waste tank, and I still do fifty percent water changes every week. If you don't have high waste fish you can get away with three times per hour. For nitrifying bacteria you need plenty of surface. Lots of people say you can't or shouldn't hook up sponge filters to water pumps, but I never have had a problem in 25 years.

wildwest likes this.
  10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

What is that, like a power head? Or a hang on the back like Penguin 300?

Camber likes this.
  11. Camber

Camber

actually just a water pump that you can jimmy PVC on. I believe I normally pay 20 dollars or less. I''ll try and find the link and post it after supper

wildwest likes this.
  12. Camber

Camber

I'll post a pic of the feeder tank setup. works better than all the crud I've bought over the years. And I have wasted a bunch of money

wildwest likes this.
  13. Camber

Camber

20210531_183341.jpg

This is a rough setup. It is in an abused feeder tank that I do not clean at all. Just make sure the water is dead on. On my nicer tanks I paint the lift tubes camo, and grow moss on the water pump to hide them. This sponge filter is a polishing filter that is five inches in diameter.
    I can't post links from amazon for some reason, but they are about 20 bucks a pump and last years. The pvc is a couple dolars probably, and the filters are probably 5 for ten bucks. Filters will last for many years unless you put crawdads in the tank. I was even able to run these in IBC totes for bait fish in the south with great success.

You can make them look very nice. ECOPLUS is the water pump brand.

wildwest likes this.
  14. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Well that is super cool setup!! (my pvc held air for airline spigots, water setup is awesome).

Steve and Camber like this.
  15. Stlshrk

Stlshrk

Before and after a big trim and sell off of some plants.

FB_IMG_1629768860740.jpg FB_IMG_1629768865317.jpg

Steve, Camber, billb3 and 1 other person like this.