In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Mantis Tiller Won’t Start

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by M2theB, May 30, 2021.

1. M2theB

M2theB

I got this older model for next to nothing for my FIL a couple years ago. I guess it’s been kinda dodgy all along.
    He let me know the other night that it won’t run. He can get to diesel with a squirt of something, but that’s it.
    I grabbed it from him this afternoon and started poking at it.
    The screen to the metering valve was chuck full, see below, so I figured this very well could be the issue. I had a kit for it so I gave it an ultra sonic clean and rebuilt it.
    Tore gaskets on the way out, so had to cut some by hand. Block, carb and muffler.
    Still won’t start and doesn’t smell like it’s getting fuel. That could be my gaskets covering impulse paths.
    It does have spark.
    Not sure what compression should be and I didn’t measure. It pulls pretty easy. Piston looks ok from the inlet side.
    Before I dig into it, wondering if anybody has experience with these and what to look for as normal fails.

ADCD4DB4-E125-4A68-AB37-7315FC8F996C.jpeg 63E522FA-8ED7-446F-BD69-3B7B21EEE555.jpeg

Screwloose, MikeInMa and jo191145 like this.
  2. jo191145

jo191145

Not much help but I just pulled my moms out of a shed a week ago. Been sitting in there forever. Was always a hard starter and never got much use at all.
    Leaked around the fuel lines going into the tank and the primer bulb cracked and turned to dust. Tossed it on the road and someone picked it up within minutes.
    Nice little machines but with its history of being a PIA to start even new I cut my losses.
    Good luck with your project.

Screwloose and M2theB like this.
  3. M2theB

M2theB

Take note of the copious Flexseal my FIL used at the tank penetration
    He loves that

Eric Wanderweg, jo191145 and Chud like this.
  4. Erik B

Erik B

I had one of those as well. It was always a hard starter. Once it was warmed up, I had no trouble restarting it. When I sold my larger Craftsman tiller, I threw the Mantis in for free. I don't miss it.

5. jo191145

jo191145

I noticed it. Didnt see a primer bulb tho. Maybe not on that model, removed, or my eyes are wonky :)

M2theB likes this.
  6. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

Mine got yanked on all day yesterday and would start and die. Tore the carb down twice and cleaned out.
    Recoil rope broke so it is now laying out there in the “going to the dump” pile.
    I have an earthquake one that started and ran flawlessly this year after sitting all winter. Both were ran dry before putting away inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeInMa and M2theB like this.
  7. Skier76

Skier76

I've seen a few for sale on Craig's or FB Marketplace that state they have new carbs. Betting there's an aftermarket option out there somewhere.

I've kicked around getting one of these for our raised garden beds.

M2theB likes this.
  8. Wolley

Wolley

Check the fuel line and or filter in the tank. I have an ice auger that likes to rot out the lines every couple years. The weighted filter will fall off and the line wont be in the gas enough to pull it up into the carb.

M2theB likes this.