In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Talk to me about air rifles

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by blacktail, Dec 4, 2020.

1. JackHammer

JackHammer

FatBoy85 likes this.
  2. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

I went with the marshmellows and conibear traps... Quiet and effective. I dont have to worry taking care of them...

FatBoy85, In the Pines and JackHammer like this.
  3. JackHammer

JackHammer

Do you put them inside some sort of box or bucket? I have had real good luck with dog proof traps but it would be nice to have the dispatching done already.

Edit- would you recommend the 110s? Or 220s for coons?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    FatBoy85, Chvymn99 and In the Pines like this.
  4. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

I’ve got 110’s. I built a box. There are kitty litter boxes that you can use. I like this method... the damage is done and I just have to get rid of carcass. This size is really good for ground hogs too....

FatBoy85 and JackHammer like this.
  5. mywaynow

mywaynow

Have a PCP in .25 that cuts holes at 50 yards. Regulated to mid 900s fps so as not to break the sound barrier. Sound barrier causes turbulance and thus inaccuracy. Mine came at the expense of one of my Benelli MR1 .556s just due to cost. Have to be fair you know! Great part of PCP is that the reload is a simple lever action that operates a revolving magazine. I get about 55-60 shots per charge. The carbon bottle gets pumped to about 3300 psi and is accurate down to about 2000 psi. It can go to 4000 but the "effective shot range" is the 3300-2000 level. I really bought this to go after yotes. I used Airguns of Arizona and they advised this would do the trick out to 50 yards no problems. So far the victims have all be tree rats. You literally shoot the eye out of a squirrel if everyone does their job. Daystate Wolverine.

6. chris

chris

There are a couple of self-contained pump up pcp rifles that recently were introduced to the market- Not meg -a -dollars either. once you get them pumped up to full charge it is just a few maintenance pumps every so often. likely see more of these down the road. Not a new idea as there have been others all the way back to the 1700's. ( Lewis and Clark expedition had a couple along with them- used for camp meat) I think the Smithsonian has a original on display. There were some copies made a few years back, which could be had if you were well heeled.

FatBoy85 and Eric Wanderweg like this.
  7. In the Pines

In the Pines

Honestly wouldn't use a .25 pcp to hunt yotes out to 50 yds. 30 or under with good shot placement.
    A lot of others would recommend the same. Daystate is a great rifle$$$ , I don't remember if they have a power band on them like my texan does but I'd turn that all the way up hunting any game besides tree rats. The regulator is nice to give lots of shots but it does so at a sacrifice of some power.

FatBoy85 likes this.
  8. chris

chris

for your purpose maybe the Nova Freedom rifle would be a good match, or the Seneca Aspen these are selfcontained pcp air rifle so no need for any expensive pumps and tanks. There might be a couple others like this now.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    FatBoy85 likes this.