In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Satellite Hot water heat thoughts?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Lennyzx11, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

As I work my way through the never ending Bathroom/Master bedroom remodel. (Her Highness has forbidden Firewood work till done), I've arrived at another decision time.

The bathroom is 2nd story, old beam framed farmhouse (1797) and will be a PITA to pull wires up through the walls. Loose fill insulation and 8x10 beams under each wall.

Current hot water comes from either the steam boiler or a 50 gallon electric in the basement.
    The steam boiler is to be replaced with an outside wood boiler maybe in 2021. It's old.
    Hot water takes forever to reach both upstairs bathrooms (one at each end of house separated by 80 ft.
    I have unused space in an insulated attic area to use whichever way for the plumbing and heater.

I am thinking of using a point of use on demand or a 110v 30 gallon electric conventional water heater.

Choices are
    1. 110v 30 gallon tank. wiring is already available (2000 watt)
    2. 110 on demand water heater roughly 3 gpm seems iffy for capacity needed and expensive)
    3. Pull 220 wiring in from basement box and connect up a 220v water heater. (There will be cussing involved)

Leaning toward the 110v 2000 watt 30 gallon heater but worried a bit about expensive to use.
    Daily Usage is two adults, shower, toilet, and sink.

Thoughts?
    Lenny

SKEETER McCLUSKEY and mat60 like this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I just seen something on This Old House a while back that addressed this issue rather ingeniously...I don't remember the details of it all, but the gist of it was that when you turn on the hot water, this apparatus (a special valve maybe?) dumped cold water from the hot line back into the cold line until hot water comes. (it basically uses the cold supply line as a recirc line during this period)
    IIRC it was something that can be added on rather easily under the sink.

Jack Straw, In the Pines and mat60 like this.
  3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I think I found it...its called a "under-the sink instant hot water recirculating system" it looks like it uses a small pump to accomplish the recirc...uses existing pipes to do it. There is also one that can be added on down at the water heater too...
    Here is an example...not super cheap, but less than a new heater, and much easier!
    Hot Water On Demand - Recirculating Pump Systems

4. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

Thanks for the link. Something else to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack Straw and In the Pines like this.
  5. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

That’s what I was thinking brenndatomu.
    Lennyzx11 - you can take “toilet” off your list... humans are the heat source there. :whistle:
    :rofl: :lol:

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

7. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

If you put a water heater in the attic you have to safely vent the temperature/pressure relief.
    Attic space is not a good location for a water heater IMHO.

8. don2222

don2222

Hello
    Another thing to consider on the point of use electric DHW units is their GPM capacity rating which must have been measured in a home on our equator on a hot summer day. I got a 27KW ECO Smart 3 - 40 amp 220 VAC breaker panel rated at 5.27 GPM and I call BS because it does not fill the bath tub which is 4 GPM with hot water! So get the Vermont rating for a cold winter day or get one with a much higher GPM rating that they say you need. Also a storage tank in a warmer inside heated space (70 Deg) that will boost the water coming out of the ground at 40 Deg F. I have my pellet stove near my 40 gallon storage tank to get the water in the tank up to 80 Degs F during the night so my instant on demand electric panel only has to heat 8o Degs to 120 Degs F and use the very best R4 white fiberglass pipe insulation not the cheap R2 foam insulation around all your hot water pipes because 130 Deg water running thru pipes in a room of 70 Deg heat or less can still loose heat fast. Just my 2 cents

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  9. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

Thanks for all the information.
    I’m leaning away from the on demand or an attic installation.
    Thinking of getting a new main heater in the basement (ours is 30 years old ), a recirculating system if possible as we don’t have a “main line” layout. And some of that r4 insulation mentioned.
    Still researching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack Straw likes this.
  10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Consider a HPWH? (heat pump water heater) They are very good these days...if you have to run a de-humidifier down there anyways, almost a no brainer...

Eric VW likes this.