In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Birch Blowout

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Eric Wanderweg, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

9DFBC720-F825-4603-BC8F-64158F90D21B.jpeg 62B9D364-1815-4584-BEAE-EF33745D55B3.jpeg Back in October a strong windstorm threatened to topple some of my piles. This pile of Black Birch started to go, then stopped. I’ve been meaning to straighten it out but here I am 3 months later and it’s still hanging on. Stacking has to be my least favorite part of the process. The plan as of a couple days ago was to move this pile into the woodshed as it will be burned next season. I’m starting to rethink it though because I’d rather not move it again in the fall.... So either I need to improve on making more stable piles or maybe abandon this style of stacking altogether. I have 4 other stand alone pallets stacked this way that seem to be doing great. Really I wanted to stack these pallets back to back so the whole mass supports itself but I didn’t take this approach because I didn’t score a large amount of any particular species. I like keeping species or at least ones with the same seasoning time together. Some of my piles are single row, some double with a gap in between. Years on and I’m still experimenting with better ways to hone my process. :hair:

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Same dilemma here...always a work in progress and the learning curve.

Cribbing can be an art form and with the right splits it works okay, but with the volume of wood we hoard and lack of decent storage space we have to improvise. Ive spaced satcks with pallets in between to make an air gap.
    I make pallets and and brace them on the ends. Ill for the most part mix similar seasoning and btu species. Stacking is not my favorite task either!

3. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I think the best option is to stack in a woodshed with partially open walls that can support the stacks. If an open stack is used, I prefer having solid ends like a pallet, or posts to stack against. Cribbed ends look nice, but they take more time and are more likely to fall.

4. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I have a couple piles stacked this exact way and I agree, it takes a lot less effort and it’s better supported.

5. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Yeah- I'm always learning.

My woodyard isn't the most level area. I use blocks/bricks to raise the low end, and dig into the dirt to lower the high end.

It's an art and not science for me.

6. jo191145

jo191145

7. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

8. jo191145

jo191145

Try a set. You’ll make more ;)

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I may try making something like that. Have a bunch of splits waiting to be stacked in a new area and was mulling over different stacking options. FHC engineering at its finest.

10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Stacking wood is not really an art; it is simply paying attention how you are stacking and watching closely all the way to the top. Cribbing also is not difficult and that can serve you very well for years.

One thing I like to do is to split right where I want to stack the wood. Notice in the picture below how I stacked and keep building as I go. This saves much time as the wood is always right there so I don't even have to take a step to get the wood; just reach as it is right there.

Notice too that I don't always take much time in cribbing; it does not have to be perfect. But you also can't get sloppy.
    Denny-April 2009i.JPG

May 2014-d.JPG

I crib the ends even in the barn.
    Winter's heat-2.JPG Wood in barn-1.JPG

This was the end result of the stacking in that first picture.
    Wood-2009e.JPG

11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Always nice to see your stacks. Im curious Dennis, what do you do with your nuglies?

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  12. Backwoods Savage

Mostly they get put into the stacks but some gets thrown on top to hold down the covering.

Sandhillbilly and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  13. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Nice looking stacks and solid advice, thank you. I see on the ends of your piles you’re utilizing the more square shaped splits which makes sense. They’re obviously more stable and won’t roll like a round or quarter round split might. Now that I have hydraulics, I can control the shape of my splits better and make as many squares as possible.

14. ErikR

ErikR

I can't seem to master cribbing the ends of my stacks. I can never find the right piece.. I prefer pallets and T-posts. f I pound them in deep enough they don't move. I use a few posts to hold the upright end pallets in place. Old, salvaged, roof tin from the dump works well too.

20201105_091334.jpg

15. Backwoods Savage

Yes I like to use them but usually run out of them. Not a problem though.

16. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Thats a great idea for here in the Granite state, i cant even dig 6” without cussin

Midwinter and jo191145 like this.
  17. jo191145

jo191145

Which raises a question in my mind. Not many full basements in New Hampshire?

LMAO Tryit, you’ll like it. After 40 years of masonry I can build a pretty mean crib if I want. It no longer intrigues me tho. Just wasted time and space IMO. I get my construction jollies elsewhere.

Midwinter likes this.
  18. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Lol everyone i know has a full basement but i bet you pay for ir in excavations and lots of blasting

Midwinter and jo191145 like this.
  19. Ctwoodtick

Ctwoodtick

With wood I think the learning never stops. I’d definitely do whatever needed for that birch to be in good shape. I love that stuff. If you feel like needing out, check out the video. It focuses on black birch a few minutes in, but the whole video is really cool.

buZZsaw BRAD and Eric Wanderweg like this.
  20. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Very informative video! It’s amazing how much the trees change appearance as they age.

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.