In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gravely Walk Behinds

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Born2Burn, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

I assure you, there wouldn't be a better tool for that job! For that application I would recommend the 30" brush mower deck. The sickle bar will vibrate your teeth out and is really intended for hay.

The 30" deck mulches everything in its path up to nothing whereas the sickle bar just lays over the grass/weeds/brush.

If you are halfway decent with a wrench, you can find these cheap do a bit of tinkering and youd be ready to rock and roll. Once up in running condition, they are little to no maintenance machines.

Horkn likes this.
  2. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Well it all sold. Most if it. Couldn't let the coolest old one go... made a nice deal with a guy - he gives me a 40" mower deck and I keep my 62 L, and he takes the rest plus cash.

Got to tinkering with the 62 late in the garage, its just cool.

Attached Files:

Horkn and eatonpcat like this.
  3. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Winter project will be to restore this 40" mower deck. I have a rusted out parts deck to use as needed. The "good" one has some cracks and needs spindle bearings- fortunately I think the rusted one may be in good shape in the bearing dept.

This old L is the regular speed model - meaning the ground speed is FAST. Not ideal for tilling or tight work. I'm hoping to put the 40" deck up front of it and mow my smooth manicured lawn with it occasionally just for the nostalgia - and exercise.

Attached Files:

Horkn likes this.
  4. Horkn

Horkn

Thanks for the reply. I see I had some really bad autocorrect on my original reply. There's 2 lots that could use trail mow/ maintenance.

I'll look for a 30" brush deck when we get around to getting serious about this. :whistle:

I'm a decent wrench, and my buddy is a great wrench and is a machinist. No sickle bar and spilled beer while on the sulky sounds like a reality. :thumbs:. My buddy's dad that has the 24acre lot that desperately needs the trails maintained is an ex Briggs and Stratton / evinrude engineer and likes putzing on stuff like this. He'd certainly get a much out of a gravely 2 wheel tractor.

5. Kimberly

Kimberly

I want to get the old gravely I have going. I might can use it for wood hoarding in some manner.