In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Rut

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by 460magpro, Nov 9, 2020.

1. 460magpro

460magpro

Any buddy had any rut actin yet i have not seen much yet

2. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Running does hard and acting stupid down here in GA. I had a buck walk slowly out in front on me this morning on the way to work. My truck was about 5' from him when I got stopped, he slowly turned around and walked off the highway.

3. Biddleman

Biddleman

Been rather slow., but last 2 days seeing more movement. My son had the granddaddy of buck in our area come in tonight. He said he called him in, don't know if he did. It was running with a single doe. Doe offered shot, granddaddy walked high up in thick cover. Pennsylvania extended archery this year by a week with an additional Sunday this weekend. Next week is the extended week!. I took off, so it better get good soon. Need some cooler weather, just dont like hunting in the warm.

4. been pretty slow were i live saw a rather small sized 6 pointer by me a week or so ago and been hearin a story of a 14 pointer runnin around

5. Biddleman

Biddleman

1st Sunday that PA has allowed deer hunting. Right after I got in stand this morning I heard thrashing around and 2 quick grunts. Thought great, I just scared a buck. Daylight comes and I hear all types of thrashing around. Of course I can't see anything because its so thick. I hear my son do some grunt calls and than a pause, than more. A huge 6 pt was running doe beside him. Everytime the buck started to come into a shooting lane, he got pulled by one of the does. Must of been one heck of a buck. Friday last day of archery for us.
    Really wish my son would get a chance at one. He has hunted hard this season and passed on several buck and doe, waiting for a bigger one or didn't think the shot was good one to take.

460magpro and farmer steve like this.
  6. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    Not sure but I think blue tongue hit hard here. We have 3 days left of our 16&1/2 day season and I have been out plenty and have seen a total of 10 deer. Most 1/2 mile out going 50 mph. Only one that was a "good shot" had the wrong giblets to shoot. Everyone is complaining numbers are down. One guy wasn't allowed on where he always has permission to hunt because the land owner found 10 deer dead on his land, no holes, no bites, no marks, just tipped over dead.

7. yooperdave

yooperdave

Maybe a bouquet of flowers and box of chocolates will increase your chances? :whistle: :D

Up here, the rut starts around the 3rd week of Oct. The deer are in their "2nd chance" now.....that is, the ones that were missed.

460magpro, farmer steve and eatonpcat like this.
  8. chris

chris

it's going to be a slow opening day this Sat in the southern part of WI as we are looking 50deg+. At home some 40+ miles north of Milw it was around 45 this morning early. got to my shop around 7am and it was 50+ deg in town. pretty close to 60+ outside right now . Northern tier of the state I believe will be cooler maybe 45 for a high Sat. Rut was on full swing last week of Oct.in the southern teir.

9. Biddleman

Biddleman

First archery ended today. I got a doe on Tuesday. No chances at any legal buck. Rifle season starts next Saturday. My area is buck only for the first week. I'll either use my bow or pumpkin ball. Just don't want to take a chance with some of the houses around. Wish some of the neighbors thought the same.

10. farmer steve

farmer steve

5B should be a "punkin" ball area. At least most spots. In Dillsburg where dad's farm is it's all houses getting built on nearby properties. Stihl pretty sparse here where I am thanks to our twp. supervisors who have limited development. Good luck Saturday buddy.

460magpro and Biddleman like this.