In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Matt's Wood Burning Adventures

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by CtRider, Nov 13, 2016.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I think thats an Isocore maul! Ill bring mine too and well get a good workout. Rounds beware! :axe:

2. CtRider

CtRider

Yep. Isocore. I have a Ariens hydro that does most of the work except the giant oak rounds I don’t want to get a hernia from. I hate using the hydro vertical.

3. CtRider

CtRider

Finished the monster oak rounds. Saved a couple gnarly ones for the hydro. Going to be close if it’s a full cord or not once it gets stacked.
    [​IMG]

T.Jeff Veal, M2theB, mat60 and 4 others like this.
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Looking good Matt! Any problems with the storms yesterday? Hit close by here!

mat60 and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  5. CtRider

CtRider

Thankfully no. Just an average t-storm. Hoping the same for tonight/tomorrow

6. CtRider

CtRider

Some TLC for the saws today. Air compressor blow out of housing and bars, sharp chains and ordered a new bar for the 550xp.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Thanks for taking us on your adventures Matt. Love the tractor, my best friend/firewood partner has 2 old IH 656s. They are a time saver (when they run). Also, is that a 550xp mk2? Have a 550xpg mk2 on backorder. Hoping for the end of Sept.

8. CtRider

CtRider

Thanks. I spent some of my teens helping bring a decayed dairy farm back up to operational mostly by clearing brush but other small farm jobs. Guy restored antique tractors so I’ve had the pleasure of seat time on a couple of old Fords (8n), John Deere LA,A,and 620. My buddy (Woodsman) just got a Cub, can’t wait to see it in person.

It’s a M1 and thankfully I’ve never had the hot restart issue be a problem. Saw is frigging awesome although the 346 fanboys don’t care for it . The bar I’m getting is the same as what will be on your M2. The 18” is a great size for the saw.

9. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Can't remember my age, but still remember my dad picking up his first tractor (WD45). I had to drive that thing 15 miles home that day. After that he upgraded to an 8n. That had a mechanical release for the bucket. Not sure what all he has today, likes tractors, but I know he has some old JD twins including his brother's JD 40. We drove to Washington state to pick it up after my Uncle passed away.
    He owned his own garage/body shop until he retired but was and still is a farmer at heart. Owns multiple sections that he cash rents every year.

mat60, Chazsbetterhalf and CtRider like this.
  10. CtRider

CtRider

The next big project here will be the solar install. This will require falling 6-8 decent ash trees around my barn that are dying anyway thanks to EAB.

I’m using this project to add a few “legitimate” items to the toolbox. Have always gotten by with alternatives but time to invest in the right tools for the job

1) Husqvarna forester helmet - always wear ears and eye pro but these trees have quite few dead branches way up there I don’t need on my noggin.

2) Weaver throw bag - we’ve used twine and a lead sinker forever to use as a pull rope to get a good rope in a tree for directional guidance. This is a rugged material lacked with lead shot that will get a dedicated can to keep tidy.

3) Blue Ox Rope - 150’ of ½” rope with a break point something like 8k lbs. much better than the hardware store yellow rope we’ve used forever.

[​IMG]

11. CtRider

CtRider

Well an update is long over due. Over a couple days we got all the trees down the solar guys wanted. All safe and all fell as they were supposed to. Got some good practice doing so many in a short time. Helped dad pull a leaner over with the truck that was leaning on another, if let go would crush the shed. Helped him drop a few standing dead oaks and brought home a load of oak.

Most of the mess to clean up.
    [​IMG]

Load of oak
    [​IMG]

Hard to see but the leaner over the shed
    [​IMG]

HuskyMatt, T.Jeff Veal, Maina and 9 others like this.
  12. CtRider

CtRider

Spent most of yesterday dragging, pulling, cutting and stack logs to open up my trail to the wood shed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Your youngster looks excited :yes:

T.Jeff Veal and Maina like this.
  14. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Nice bunch of logs. Your wife reminds me of myself many years ago. Chasing one kid while carrying another on my hip. You go mama.

15. CtRider

CtRider

Yep. I don’t know how she does it. Mama’s are wired different. 1 on 1 non problem, 2 and and I’m ready to put myself in timeout in an hour

T.Jeff Veal and Maina like this.
  16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Correction on my post, not your youngest on Wife’s hip? But the little toe head that’s running wild:D

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  17. CtRider

CtRider

You said youngster - that’s valid :)

Yes, we had to look up towhead when folks starting calling him that in the grocery store haha. He’s a ball of energy that’s for sure.

18. CtRider

CtRider

Finally got chimney cleaned Sunday after making a dumb mistake - that 8” brush doesn’t fit in the 6” liner we had installed last year!

First fire of the season last night
    [​IMG]

19. TBONE

TBONE

What stove is that CtRider? Looks nice!

20. CtRider

CtRider

Thanks! Vermont Castings Resolute

TBONE likes this.