In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Moisture Meters

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Eddie Hughes, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Eddie Hughes

Eddie Hughes

Can someone please tell me why there’s such a massive price range for moisture meters? I’ve seen one for £25 and there are others at over £150. Surely they all tell me what I need to know

2. fox9988

fox9988

For firewood, the cheap ones are fine. Cabinet makers may need a more expensive model.

Chazsbetterhalf and Eddie Hughes like this.
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Ive thought the same. My first one i paid $20 (not sure what that converts to in Pounds.) My current one i paid $35 IMG_3032.JPG IMG_2904.JPG
    I learned a valuable lesson...dont jab too hard into dead black locust! IMG_2988.JPG

4. billb3

billb3

pin meters can be rather inexpensive and suffice for firewood as they generally have a relative accuracy of about +/- 5% and usually are only that accurate within a small temperature range. iirc, mine is 5% accurate within 32 and 100ºF. If your firewood is freezing (or outside of your eter's accuracy zone) you really should bring it inside a warmer place and let the temp come up within the meter's range to be somewhat accurate. Some meters may have less range than 32-100ºF. If the one you are considering just says temperature compensated without giving a range I'd assume a smaller range than 32-100ºF.

pinless scanners are usually twice the price and higher and you pay more for accuracy. A cabinet maker isn't going to want to be sticking pins in and making holes in his wood . Even some painters don't like making holes in shingles or drywall although there are plenty that DNGAF.

Chazsbetterhalf and Eddie Hughes like this.