In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fuel Mix

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by JW IN VA, Sep 21, 2020.

1. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

I did a search and didn't quite find what I needed.Don't want to start and wars between ideas but just asking for advice.

I know it's been talked about many times but what are the other advantages of running a heavier oil mix?
    Does the saw need to be retuned? Will it run cooler or hotter?

I hear a lot of folks say the only reason 50:1 is recommended is the EPA regs the saw makers have to live by.
    I currently run Stihl Ultra Synthetic in about a 45:1 mix to be on the safe side.My only local non alcohol gas is 87 octane which I realize isn't what is suggested but feel it's better than running 89 octane and 10 per cent ethanol.

I'm just using my saws and trimmers to work around the farm and cut my winter's wood and just want what's best for my saws.

2. Chud

Chud

I run 92 in my saws with 45-48:1 ratio of whatever mix I have on hand. Thinking about using only amsoil dominator.
    I can only get 89 non ethanol, so I use that in the woodsplitter, mower and tractor.

Screwloose, JW IN VA and mat60 like this.
  3. personally i just use 50 to 1 mix and and i try to always get 93 or higher gas from the gas station were i live atm i believe theres only 1 place im aware of with no alch in gas and for other fuel mix stuff never really thought of tryin other stuff

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2020
    Screwloose and JW IN VA like this.
  4. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

I run 50:1 in all my stuff, whether its new equipment or vintage equipment, using Amsoil Sabre synthetic and 90 octane non-ethanol gas. Been doing it that way for YEARS without a single issue, and believe me I've gone through a TON of mixed fuel......

NYH1, Screwloose, Ohio and 4 others like this.
  5. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

87 non ethanol will be fine in a worksaw, the Stihl synthetic is good to. Better value buying a gallon of Amsoil Synthetic instead of the tiny Stihl bottles

NYH1, Screwloose, JW IN VA and 3 others like this.
  6. Rush Battle

Rush Battle

Scotty, have you tried Echo Red Max? I debated between Sabre and Redmax and decided on red max for now, but I use much less mix gas than you for sure.

Scotty Overkill, Screwloose and mat60 like this.
  7. tamarack

tamarack

Been using echo red armor oil mixed with 89 non ethanol. 45:1 good results so far. I think it's a great help to have a ratio rite mixing cup because it shows you exactly what ratio you will have with a given amount of oil.

8. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I switched to 40/1 after getting into ported saws. Spinning much faster rpm’s, that extra oil for those bearings is a good thing and recommend by every saw builder I know.
    I also got into chainsaw milling. For that, the extra oil is much more important.

I’ve pulled the cylinder and inspected the bottom end several times on a couple of my saws. It’s always covered in a nice layer of oil when I do and their isn’t any negative build up unless you use a bike/motorcycle specific oil.

87 oct pump gas for the last 10 years w/ no issue. I do run them all on occasion to keep it ”fresh”

9. Locust Post

Locust Post

I run 50/1 with Husqvarna XP and 87 octane standard pump gas because I guess it to be the freshest. Never had an issue.

10. JCMC

JCMC

I run everything on 40:1 non ethanol 91 octane gas and full synthetic oil. All my saws are stock.

11. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I run a good synthetic oil at 32 to 1. The oil that helps to lubricate will also help in transferring heat from the rings to the cylinder and to stop scoring. There was also some issues with some Husqvarna saws that had bearings going bad in the bottom end from not enough oil. It is true that EPA does want 50 to 1 not because it is better for the saw, but because they are concerned about the environment.
    I have tore plenty of my saws down and do not find any excessive deposits on the pistons or rings. Remember a good synthetic oil is why.
    I also do not get excessive smoke from my saws.
    There was an experiment that was done some years ago on another forum concerning using oil and fuel that was mixed to 32 to 1 as opposed to 40 to 1. It was found that 32 to 1 produced just as much power.

12. Horkn

Horkn

50:1 synthetic either amsoil sabre, or at worst Lucas semi synthetic. If you're saw is stock 87 with no more than 10% ethanol is just fine. Saws that are newer than 20 years or so are designed to run on e10. I just like to use the saw gas up in 2-3 months at worst.

MrWhoopee, Rush Battle and Screwloose like this.
  13. Screwloose

Screwloose

Red armor, 40:1, e free.

Scotty Overkill and Rush Battle like this.
  14. Nixon

Nixon

I use 89 E0 . For oil it’s either red armor ,VP ,,or Husq.XP @ 100ml to a gallon .
    I did try Stihl ultra . But I can’t stand the smell when it burns ,and ,last I checked , it’s only JASO FB rated .

15. bushpilot

bushpilot

I use cheap synthetic oil, whatever is on the shelf at Lowes or the the local farm supply store. I mix it at the recommended "universal" rate as recommended on the label of the oil, which I believe is 50:1. My saws are less than 10 years old and unmodified, other than the mufflers.

I use ethanol free, and don't care about the octane. If I hadn't experienced shrinkage of fuel lines while using ethanol gas, I would be still using that. If/when I experience a lubrication-related problem, I will reconsider my oil brand and mix. Until then, this works for me.

16. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

What the ratio on that? :p

I’m hooked on the RA too.

Screwloose likes this.
  17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Its one of those things though..."its never caused me a problem"...until it does...but then again, we are talking OPE engines, not airplane engines so not as important to go for "fail safe"

18. Nixon

Nixon

37-1 more or less :D

19. lukem

lukem

87 octane corn liquor and K2 mixed 40:1.

Screwloose likes this.
  20. bushpilot

bushpilot

Yep, agreed with all the above. But sometimes you need to try to operate cheaper, to see if it is something you want to continue doing. Did that, and the ethanol tainted fuel went off the table, with little harm to me. We'll see if I am at the sweet spot over time.
    Airplanes, I use a little different philosophy. :handshake:

Screwloose and brenndatomu like this.