In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Scraping and Sanding

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by thewoodlands, Jun 29, 2020.

1. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I plan on scraping and sanding the outside porch handrails and spindles. After scraping I plan on sanding with a sandpaper grit between 80 to 150, after I'm done would it be best just to wipe them down with a clean rag or should I also vacuum them or is there a better way to clean them before painting.

Thanks
    Mike

2. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

NAPA sells tack cloths. What dad used before spraying primer or paint. A rag with paint thinner would work.

mat60, Screwloose, Chaz and 6 others like this.
  3. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Great question Zap...I need to sand stain off some deck posts, what grit should I use?

mat60, Screwloose, Chaz and 5 others like this.
  4. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I did a search on sanding paint, it had something about stain but I didn't save the link, I'll see if I can find it.

mat60, eatonpcat, Screwloose and 5 others like this.
  5. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

It sounds like you might have to use a stripper :thumbs: here's one article talking about it.
    How to Restain a Deck Without Stripping

6. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We have a smaller railing on the back steps I'll start tomorrow after I get a first coat on the second side of an area on our snowplow for the tractor I'm painting so I can get it out of the garage.

The front porch will get started after the back is finished and even though it's not a huge porch, it's bigger.

Thanks for the info.

Mike

Buzz Benton, Screwloose, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Most any hardware type store should have tack cloths.
    You need the stain to be gone? That is gonna take a lot of sanding! Start out with a rough grit (40, 60, 80?) and then work to finer grits as you get closer to finishing up...something in the high 100's, or maybe somewhere into the 200's should be fine enough for deck posts?

If this was something that needed to have a perfect finish (like furniture) I would wipe with a solvent soaked rag (the appropriate solvent for the finish being used) and then wipe with a tack cloth before applying finish...

8. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I wonder how a lint roller would work, that would save me a trip into town or I could check our local Dollar General for tack cloths.

mat60, Screwloose, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I wouldn't expect that will work real well...unless your lint rollers are much stickier than the ones I've used!
    If you are trying to avoid a special trip, you could clean up most of the dust up with a brush attachment on a shopvac (or your wifes vacuum if you feeling spunky) ;)
    Then do a final wipe down with a rag soaked in thinner, mineral spirits, something like that.

mat60, Screwloose, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  10. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

I'm facing a similar situation, but I'm gonna power wash and call it good. One of those H/F 3100 psi gas units will find it's way home with me someday, then the fun begins.
    Sanding newels and ballusters would drive me crazy. I'd almost rather rebuild.

mat60, Buzz Benton, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  11. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I would rather be burning some pine in the outdoor fireplace but we're very dry and the burn ban is on, from the rainfall info that was on the local news tonight from my old hometown which is north of here about 38 miles, they've received 3.09 inches of rain from April to June 28, they usually would have 9.17 inches in that time frame on a normal year.

I would say we've had less rain here.

Massena breaks record for lack of rain

mat60, Chaz, Chazsbetterhalf and 3 others like this.
  12. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

We've been on a burn ban since March. We still had snow on the ground then, and lots of rain since (locally). The ban is in place for a different reason.

mat60, Chaz, Chazsbetterhalf and 2 others like this.
  13. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

From the title I thought you ran out of tp! :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

mat60, Chaz, brenndatomu and 4 others like this.
  14. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Go to TWP they have chemicals which remove old stain then a brightener .. it works

ballisters took off put on saw horses sprayed with pump sprayer all sides and re installed easier. Will post pics once tails and beams done in dark color..

ALWAYS stain over paint because it fades and just pressure wash and re coat

15. huskihl

huskihl

Paint stripper is probably the quickest and most consistent way of removing it. I used a Cabot paint stripper one time to remove a clear finish from an old cedar deck. I rolled it on and then scrubbed it and washed it off with a garden hose. It came with a neutralizer/brightened and after I applied that the cedar lookEd like brand new. I couldn’t believe it.
    I’m not a fan of painting exterior wood surfaces, as I know it’s going to create hard work again in a few years. I would rather use a stain that actually sinks into the wood, be it a wood toned stain or a colored semi transparent or solid color. At least next time I know I won’t have to remove it, as I can just go over it again.

mat60, eatonpcat, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  16. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I painted the back handrails on the porch with a coat of primer this morning, since we removed about six pine from the eastside, the direct sun was pretty darn hot.

I did use the Kubota to bring out the painting supplies so after I was done, I put a Aerosmith CD in an cranked the a/c and went for a nice ride.

I'll be back painting again tomorrow morning. The wife said the water in the brook is nice and cold so after painting tomorrow, I'll test it out.

mat60, Buzz Benton, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  17. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I put a second coat of primer on the handrails this morning. If it stays dry out, I'll get one coat of paint on it tomorrow, I probably go with two coats of paint and then repeat on the front porch.

The paint that I scraped and sanded off was from the original paint when we had the house built in 2003, it should've been done about four years ago. :doh:

18. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I'm done the back handrails, the sun hits right on the area I was painting so if it needs another coat, it will happen when it cools off some.

I should start scraping and sanding the same chit on the front porch on Wednesday. Since there's more to sand,scrape and paint, it will take longer.

It's on the northside of the house so even though it will be hot, I won't be in the direct sun.

19. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Good place to park a big azz fan then! Blow that dust clean out into the yard, and stay cool doing it! :dennis:

20. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I was worried about the sand we call a yard in the back, because I'll be painting up higher on the front porch, I'll have it out there.

mat60, Chaz, Buzz Benton and 2 others like this.