In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How much did you use?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Erik B, May 26, 2020.

1. Erik B

Erik B

I, like many here, burn other fuels than wood. I have an oil furnace to supplement my wood burning.
    I got my once yearly summer fill today and it took 102 gallons to fill the tank. I got it at $1.77 per gallon. Total bill came to less than $200.00 for the year. How much is it costing you for your supplemental heat?
    Without burning wood, my fuel usage would be around 600 gallons.

2. Horkn

Horkn

I could look up my natural gas usage for the season, but with not only the ng forced air furnace, but a ng water heater, ng clothes drier, and ng for cook stove, I'd have a hard time trying to decipher what the furnace used.

3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I looked up our cost and it came to exactly $0.00. :thumbs:

4. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

Yep, Backwoods and I are on the same plan!! $0.00. Oh, we have a propane tank, for the stove in the kitchen. Put a $100.00 in it about every three years. Our furnace is in the basement, disconnected, only reason there is the boiler runs hot water through a horizontal radiator so the blower on the furnace can send heat through the registers.

5. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

The only time the furnace is turned on is once during fall and once during spring to make sure that it still works. So the cost is 10 bucks.

6. Erik B

Erik B

My wood burning takes place in an insert that is located upstairs in the living room on one end of the raised ranch house. I don't think it could be in a more inappropriate spot.:( When temps drop below zero is when the furnace usually runs.

7. Maina

Maina

I think we turned the heat pump on maybe twice this past season for a couple hours each time, and the baseboard oil heat not at all. A few dollars maybe? Oil is cheap right now but I’d still much rather burn wood. The oil is leaving the property for good one of these days soon!

8. Ron T

Ron T

I have used 1/4 tank of fuel oil over the past two heating seasons.

9. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

About a $100 if NG for the winter. And that’s with the minimum few If $15 per month and The furnace running more when we are out of town. The only time the furnace really kicks in is when it’s 0 or below and the insert can’t keep up.