In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Chainsaw Help Please

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Lumberjack2742, May 20, 2020.

1. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Well Dumf it is not a tough road if you practice safety all the time. It then becomes habit. Plus I do not intend on living in a bubble because I am not capable enough to handle myself.
    I think that chain brakes were a good idea to help with kick back. From there we will have to agree to disagree.

Dumf, Nixon and Sandhillbilly like this.
  2. Nixon

Nixon

Treat the saw like a weapon . Keep your finger off the trigger unless you intend to fire the weapon ,or run the saw .

MikeInMa, huskihl, Dumf and 3 others like this.
  3. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Right. Each to his own MC. Habit is right on.
    Wish we had the knowledge of today's PPE . In my time ( late 60's) never used or knew or were ordered the use of hearing protection. sun hats, protective goggles, steel toes, Kevlar (if it was available then ).
    Now in big noisy groups I can barely hear the body I'm talking to. Had to have dermatology slicing on ears ( cut looks like the female lobster notch), and nose. Never mind what we used and smoked in country.
    Call it the habit of Chicken of the Woods now--full PPE, situational awareness, fatigue, and Mr. Brake. Anything to avoid the ER. No bubble.

4. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I am all onboard for any safety equipment that is effective, well thought out and fairly unobtrusive! Chain brakes and eye protection/ear plugs fall into that category. Most "safety" gas cans do not!

5. Dumf

Dumf Banned

"SAFETY GAS CANS" are the male tits of tools. ( Can I say this ? )

6. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I got tired of those stupid gas can nozzles. I went and bought one of those battery operated transfer pumps for like 10 bucks. Works great.

7. M2theB

M2theB

Got one for Christmas
    Love it,,,first season so far

jo191145 and Mag Craft like this.
  8. jo191145

jo191145

Wouldnt have a link to one of those would you?
    I bet my mom would like one. She goes through a lot of fuel but doesn’t like the five gallon jugs.

Loon and Mag Craft like this.
  9. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I bought it at harbor Freight. They had them in stock where the keep the gas cans and such.

jo191145 likes this.
  10. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Got simple aftermarket plain flowing gas can spout kits. About $10. at WalMart, Depot. Easy.

jo191145 likes this.
  11. Loon

Loon

jo191145 likes this.
  12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Try to get into the habit of engaging the brake when you are moving while holding the saw and it is running. Use the back of your left wrist to engage it as Joseph Valenti & MikeInMa said. I occasionally will engage the brake without realizing it while cutting.
    Funny story. Back in 1985 my late uncle bought me a brand new Stihl chain saw. I was 17 at the time. I would use his tractor to go cut in the woodlot. The saw fell out of the trailer. I later went to start it when i got into the woods. Started fine, but i couldnt get the chain to move. After a couple minutes of cursing it, i went back and told my uncle what happened. He takes the saw, starts it and disengages the brake...walla! Chain brakes we're relatively new on saws at the time. My little Homelite didnt have one.
    If you plan on cutting wood for the rest of your life and on a regular basis a GOOD brand name saw would be a wise investment. Im partial to Stihl, but Huskvarna and Echo are also excellent reputable brands.
    A Stihl MS250/251 or MS291 are good firewood saws for an average cutter. Pricey, yes, but dependable and hold their value. Buying from a dealer will be a plus as you will have people that know the product and can service if needed.
    Oh, and the chain SHOULD NOT spin when idling. Needs minor adjustment.

Dumf, MikeInMa and jo191145 like this.