In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Asking for advice

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Kimberly, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Kimberly

Kimberly

I have given up on getting my tractor parts down. I posted on a couple of forums and didn't get an answer and probably now with New Jersey under the current circumstances I guess no one can go in and out. Maybe eventually my parts will get down to me but I need to get the tractor running. I got some used parts and repaired the differential; replaced the spider and one of the drive gears had to be replaced due to a missing tooth. Now the question is about the centre housing. The part that is cracked is still in place; the crack is slanted or something that prevents it from falling out. So the advice is on that issue. I could just leave it as is; I was using the tractor with all this damage, but then there is the possibility it could fall out. Maybe knock it out and not worry about the missing part? I don't have any brazing equipment and I think that is how you would repair cast iron. Would it be possible for someone to come to me and repair it since the tractor can't be moved? Is it possible some new space age material epoxy etc would work? What do you guys think?

tractor-busted.jpg

2. Kimberly

Kimberly

I am going to take a look at this tomorrow; give it a close inspection. There is a bearing there on the end of the pinion gear and the part that is broken is the support for the pinion. This will just be a temporary job to get the tractor going while I wait on parts eventually getting down from New Jersey. I haven't even inspected the pinion gear yet.

Chazsbetterhalf and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  3. Kimberly

Kimberly

I asked my BIL about this and he didn't give me an answer. It is cracked top and bottom and wiggles so I know it is not providing support to that end bearing on the pinion. Therefore, I think to be safe I will take a hammer and see if I can just knock it out. I was running this tractor with this broken piece in place but if it was to come loose and fall in the pinion/ring gear it might be bad news.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  4. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Don't try to epoxy that. It'll never hold. I'd personally want it fixed correctly to prevent larger problems.

T.Jeff Veal, fox9988 and M2theB like this.
  5. Screwloose

Screwloose

If I knew what the rough size is I'd feel more confident in what I'm saying. Is it possible to clamp it together and drill and tap for a socket head cap screw or 2 in order to draw it together ? And is it possible to cut a plate go completely around the break using flat head machine screws to reinforce it ? As the plate is in shear load it would not have to be thick.

T.Jeff Veal and eatonpcat like this.
  6. Kimberly

Kimberly

I am not sure. I tried to use an inspection camera today to see but couldn't get the camera where it needed to be. Perhaps I should remove the pinion gear so I can access that area. I was trying to find some diagrams today on the housing but they didn't show that very well.

Screwloose likes this.
  7. Kimberly

Kimberly

By the way, friend email me today and told me that he didn't see bringing the replacement parts down any time soon; most likely not by the end of the year, due to the virus situation. I repaired the differential as I stated with some used parts. Getting ready to order the gaskets needed for the trumpet but was wondering what to do with the cracked part. The idea is to just get it back in working order knowing that down the road it will be repaired properly.

Screwloose likes this.
  8. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Ok, again I cleaned up another mess. Edited the op's post so we can focus on the original question. Other posts were deleted. If anyone can help, speak up, if not, move on.

9. yooperdave

yooperdave

Dear kim:

I think you should fix the tractor.

I wanted a motorcycle real bad a few decades ago. I would not use household $$ for it. I applied and was readily hired at a 2nd job and worked at it until I had enough $$ for the Harley. I think it was right around a years time.

I'm relating this to let you know, that with your many hidden talents, you have the ability to do the same and raise the funds for needed repairs/parts.

Good luck with this!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  10. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

We have a tractor junkyard around here that specializes in what you need, are there any near you? Can you find a parts tractor on CL? Nobody really wants those old tractors like they used to, the compact diesel tractors are the hot thing now. Good luck!

Screwloose and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  11. JCMC

JCMC

I got some hard to find used parts from a place in Pa. I think it was Wegman's, I called them with part # and they had the part in stock ordered it with CC over phone and had the part two days later. What kind of tractor is it?

Screwloose and Jack Straw like this.