In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Be Careful

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by old iron, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Screwloose

Screwloose

That's what I was told over 40 years ago!! This is the first time I've ever heard anyone else bring it up.

2. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Until I went through the Maine CLP program, I thought the same. The instructor showed the class ( all pros except me ) that a "locked elbow" could never overcome the torque of a kickback.
    No one had ever used the chain brake for safe moving with a running saw. Mr. Dumf thought that it was only for kickback protection.
    Can't tell you how many times I've tripped felling around a trunk or clearing blowdowns. "How many" ?:confused:
    Be safe.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  3. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Were they (Maine CLP) saying that you shouldn't have your front elbow locked?

This (front elbow locked) is the way I learned as well, also from a professional chainsaw safety class. The locked elbow isn't the only factor but it will be a primary failure point if it isn't locked. I also, on my own, decided to keep my wrist bent a bit, to minimize the amount of travel needed to trip the chain brake. But I also still use many older pre-brake saws.

Timberdog likes this.
  4. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Instructor demo-ed how you can't control the kickback torque with a "locked elbow". Scared the s%$t out of me, even as he did it in controlled situations.
    First time boring with too much of the bar tip into the cut and not WOT, it kicked. You learn fast with wet pants.:emb:
    There's too much speed and force in any saw to control by human force. Like my D.I.'s tell you : "you have to know what you don't know". YMMV-- if you choose to use the elbow route.
    Besides, how often in hours using a saw do you even think about locking elbows. So, I try to be situationally aware, careful with full PPE, and plan the cut and escape route.
    Just my experience cutting alone ( no "wife" nearby ! ). Of course, I never cut above chest high.

5. Timberdog

Timberdog

And just keeping the old face out of the plane of the rotating chain.