In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ash log score

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by JB Sawman, Feb 23, 2020.

1. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

One of my customers called yesterday said he had some ash logs that were to big for him to cut up said I could come and get them 28'inside the bark on the biggest one they are going to make some nice boards he has about 30 more to take down all dead from the ash borer most are firewood but I think there is enough for a log truck load of saw logs I just have to find a market for the lumber DSCN0320.JPG

Woodsnwoods, mnguns, Maykoppa and 8 others like this.
  2. Buzz Benton

Buzz Benton

I wonder how the mills like the dead ash? Is it discounted heavily? I'd like to follow this as you progress to a sale, please keep us posted. Beautiful logs, for sure.

3. Horkn

Horkn

Yeah, there's a glut of ash around here. I heard there's no market for it due to this. This is from my buddy's guy with the portable wood mixer Mill. He sees the market personally.

Now myself, I think I'll be taking down a few ash in the woods and hauling them for making lumber for my wood shed. Lots of value in that. From what I see, $75 an hour will get me a lot more lumber than I could ever buy for that amount.

4. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

These logs were not dead standing too long last growing season they still had some green there is a lot of ash dead around here most of my sawing is for crane cribbing (OAK) and dunnage for a crane manufacturer these logs are really nice I have a customer I talked to last night who does custom flooring and he is interested in making flooring out of them I hope that comes through

5. farmer steve

farmer steve

They look pretty good JB. Don't see much borer sign on the bark. I cut a smaller one down Friday that was all dead at the top and when I got to where it started to Y at the trunk it was green. Will that brown center affect lumber quality?

6. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Some people like that brown contrast in color I have never had it affect quality of lumber

7. farmer steve

farmer steve

Wasn't sure if the dead wood affected quality or not. Cuttin all I can while the sun shines.

8. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Those are some nice looking logs. Nice and straight.

Horkn and farmer steve like this.
  9. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

28" will give you a good workout.

Horkn, JB Sawman and farmer steve like this.
  10. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Machinery makes all the difference when i was looking at sawmills I almost bought the manual mill because of the cost but I decided to take a gamble on making enough with the mill to justify the cost of the hydraulic log handling but since I only work by myself the hydraulics are sure a back saver and the time saved when sawing bigger logs makes a big difference

Winston, Rush Battle, Horkn and 2 others like this.