In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Passed on a Stihl 038 magnum

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Dakota Hoarder, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Checked out a 038 Magnum yesterday. Guy was asking $300 for it. Original owner bought in ‘94 used for firewood and occasion storm clean up. Pretty good condition for its age. Made in Brazil. Was maybe going to offer $200, not really interested in offering any more (but probably would have felt obligated to!)

anyway when I got there to check it out I was actually glad it wouldn’t start so I wouldn’t take it home! Pretty sure it was a spark or ignition issue, getting plenty of fuel. Guys going to take it to the shop and see what’s up.

I actually didn’t like the saw that much, at least compared to my “newer” saws. The on/off/choke switch was kind of clumsy, and front chain tenser is weird. Of course if. Got to run it and cut with it... that probably would change my opinion!:bug:

Anybody else run a 038 Mag? How’s it cut compared to a newer 70cc saw?

2. farmer steve

farmer steve

WAY heavier than the newer saws in that class. Torque monster though. I passed on a 461 for $400 this morning but I wanted to cut wood before the rain gets here tonite .

3. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

038 mag is the most disappointing chainsaw I’ve ever ran. 72cc of pure turd. Way overweight for the power. Yes they may last forever but.. you didn’t miss a thing.
    Couple years ago I bought a roached one and flipped it. If you find it on the cheap, there’s money in em. But spend some time with a stock one and you will see exactly what I’m talking about, I promise.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  4. cnice_37

cnice_37

Your observations are spot on. Built like a tanks, weighs like a tank, plenty of torque.

Choke/ start lever is terrible design and the tensioner is in a terrible location.

All that being said I actually liked mine but newer saws in the pro series are much better.

5. Ron T

Ron T

Just passed one 2 weeks ago myself.