In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Going to Texas

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Husky Man, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Husky Man

Husky Man

I don’t know Dave, granted Mrs. Husky Man and I went to Costa Rica in 2016 for Gastric Sleeve Surgery, because we had gotten a bit too “Husky”, but even in my Late Teens Early Twenties PRIME, I don’t think I could have eaten that much, but I would have TRIED :D

OK, yesterday I left the Salt Lick Smiling and full belly content, but I doubt that I will be back to Austin enough to go back. I truly Enjoyed their Food,

BUT,

Franklin’s is just a whole ‘nother Level, but Honestly, I will give the Salt Lick the ribbon for Sausage, they did beat Franklin’s in Sausage IMO.

I didn’t expect any more Black Ties at Franklin’s than there WASN’T, at Salt Lick, but at Least at Salt Lick, your order is taken and served at your table, and is even served ONa Plate;)

At Franklin’s, it is a Cafeteria Style Line, with trays lined with Butcher Paper, which your Meat is served directly onto, the sides are dished into plastic containers. Looking for Linen Napkins??Not here, full roll of paper towels, and plastic utensils, getting Nervous?, most here Shouldn’t, and after the First BITE, ALL that is FORGOTTEN.

The Sausage was Good, that First Bite of Pork Ribs, I stopped mid bite and Savored the flavor, thinking, it doesn’t get much Better than this, Then I Tried the BRISKET, I was Wrong, the Brisket was Better than the Ribs, and that is sayin a LOT

For anyone who can manage to at least “Choke Down” some BBQ, Franklin’s should be a “Must” Stop if in Austin

BF0CCC95-699A-4F54-AC49-485B44554578.jpeg A34B112A-82C7-44B9-8F3F-3D8F0D88CBDF.jpeg

Doug :cheers:

Knothead, eatonpcat, Erik B and 9 others like this.
  2. Husky Man

Husky Man

Oh BTW. Dave, I upped my order to

1 pound Brisket

1 pound Pork Ribs

3/4 pound Sausage

Plus

1 pint Beans

1 pint Potato Salad

the bill came to $81.20 with Tax :jaw::eek:

But that should be Dinner tonight for Both of us and My Lunch tomorrow as well, so much for being a Cheap Bastard, but it is worth it

Knothead, eatonpcat, Chvymn99 and 7 others like this.
  3. yooperdave

yooperdave

:handshake:

Chazsbetterhalf and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  4. Eckie

Eckie

You made it! I'm so glad to hear you thought it was really good, reaffirms my findings! Was the brisket like a whole different ballgame to you? I had had what I thought was good brisket, but after I ate franklins, I figured out what really good, no great, brisket is. The sausage was kinda new for me, hadnt really had it before. Interesting that salt licks was better. Hopefully your wife will like the leftovers as well! Haha I totally understand about the cheap bastard thing...that's usually me (just ask the missus)...but after I took a bit of that scrumptiousness I was just fine with the $$ I dropped. If I ever go again it will be with my wife and little girl, and I'm gonna fill one of those blue trays up!

5. Husky Man

Husky Man

Eckie, we are just finishing up eating some of those left overs for Dinner, chilled out of the room refrigerator, was Great chilled, just like Pizza.

My Wife kept saying, I can get something else, I know that you enjoy that more than I do. I told her TRY IT, I bought extra for BOTH of us to have for dinner.

She had a Rib first, and was like OMG, then she tried some Brisket, and her eyes Glazed over, and she said, I could eat that every day

Nope, it ain't CHEAP, but it is Well Worth the price.

6. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

You might be making more trips to Texas now, since she likes it...
    There was an ad on FB called master class, I think. The owner from Franklin's was one of the chefs on there, he was teaching how to cook brisket. I found the link...https://www.masterclass.com/classes...ting&utm_content=Video-Thrive&utm_campaign=AF
    Glad y'all enjoyed it so much, safe travels home.

Knothead and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  7. Husky Man

Husky Man

Hi T. Jeff, Her Convention wraps up Today, but we're spending a week in TX,
    Tomorrow we head down to San Antonio for 2 nights then up to Waco for a night, and finally up near the DFW area, My Best Friend of more than 30 years, moved there in August, when his Wife had a job transfer.

This trip to Austin was for a convention for my Wife, so even if we get back to TX, I don't know if Austin will be a part of it, but I would sure try to make it one

8. Husky Man

Husky Man

I haven’t had as much online time after the Wife’s convention ended.

Tuesday we headed down to San Antonio, and did the Alamo and River Walk, had some Great Mexican at Rio Rio, even scored a Riverside Table :yes:

On Wednesday we took a Day Trip to Corpus Christi. Two of the Gals that my Wife met and spent a lot of time with at the convention, live and have Stations at the same Salon in Corpus,Shawna offered to be our Personal Tour Guide :D

Our first stop was a Great local Mexican Restaurant, then my Wife got to see their Salon, and her other Friend, then it was out to Padre and Mustang Islands, a popular little Candy Store, and a Stop at the Beach, unfortunately it was only about 60* and a little Breeze, and all my Kites were 2,200 miles away at home :(, then a MAYBE 1/4 mile Ferry Ride:rofl: :lol: and complete the loop through a Portland a bit different than the one we know

Thursday we went up to Waco, and I don’t know where that day went :faint:

Today my Wife wanted to visit a shop owned by a Couple with a Fixer up show on TV, seeing Magnolias was on her bucket list, she’s there right now

Later it’s up to Fort Worth, where my Best Friend lives now, until we fly out of DFW early Sunday afternoon

Woodwidow, Knothead, billb3 and 3 others like this.