In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anyone want Oak in SW Mo

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by DNH, Dec 24, 2019.

1. DNH

DNH

Got a couple bids on dropping them, would like one more before giving the order to start dropping them. Should have them all down in the next 30-60 days.

Scotty Overkill or any others in the industry what’s an expected expense range for dropping 71 trees about 1/3 of them will have to be limbed out top down due to power lines, phone lines, or leaning toward house. I’d use a licensed and insured reputable company.

2. Donny Price

Donny Price

UGH. Wish I could help you with this. But I dont think I could swing the 5 hrs and 45 minute travel.

3. Meche_03

Meche_03

I picked up a hickory tree that was dropped by a pro. The home owner just had it dropped and not cut up or limbed and I was told the cost was $150. Tree service company owner would run solo without a crew on the weekend to do easy jobs. I got the wood by bucking up the large rounds and cleaning up a bit.

Easy trees with no clean up could be dropped in one day. The topped trees will take 3 to 5 guys to get about 3 trees done a day if it's all rope work. They have to do some clean up to work safe. If they just have to limb the tree on one side to safely drop it away from the utilities then the job will be faster.

Got a family friend in Rolla getting a large Bradford pear tree topped, dropped, and cleaned up for $500. It will need a crane or bucket truck to keep tree from hitting roof. They asked if I wanted the job. I told them not at that price. I wouldn't have any money after equipment rental let alone my lack of insurance. Trunk is already split to the root ball and held together with bolts through the trunk.

4. Meche_03

Meche_03

Just checked with a friend. He has 5 big trees (80+ ft tall all house impact possiblities). All in backyard with limited equipment access. Probably all rope work. Best quote was $2500 with cleanup but the trunks left behind. Bucking and cleanup of trunks will be on me getting firewood.

5. JotulYokel

JotulYokel

People like trees, and those are some nice ones. Are you sure taking them all down is your best option? Sounds expensive.
    I'm 100 miles south of you, but I've got plenty of oak to cut up.

6. fox9988

fox9988

Too bad they need to go. Loss of so many nice trees, the expense (felling and stump grinding) and a lot more mowing.

7. DNH

DNH

I’m leaving about 15 trees in the front of the business but it needs better visability. A few will be scattered around the yard and a few along the driveway coming in. One quote was $250 per tree (he came down considerably from there).

It is all easily accessible by bucket truck providing we get either a dry spell or a good freeze.

Loon, T.Jeff Veal, Midwinter and 2 others like this.
  8. GrJfer

GrJfer

Though I hate to see trees pushed over, but I would think it would be cheaper to have a dozer push them over and pile them up.

9. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

That would be impossible to say without seeing the job in person.........

T.Jeff Veal and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  10. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

70 trees! Sounds like enough for a GTG to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. DNH

DNH

GrJfer dozer is not a good option due to 10’ish being close to building and 20’ish overhanging phone lines. Remaining 40 are pretty easy notch and drop!

The offer stands if anyone wants to come down or up I’ll host and have tractor loader, splitter, skid steer, grapple, bucket lift, and food. Anyway to do a thread with a poll to see if there’s any interest?Meche_03 is planning on coming over.

I use similar version of this everyday!

12. JotulYokel

JotulYokel

Any way you go it sounds expensive. I've been in business all my life and one of the maxims of a businessman is to take a problem and try to turn it into a positive, or an opportunity. Do potential customers absolutely have to see your buildings from the road? Are you dependent on drive-by traffic, or repeat customers? What about using your woods as an advertising gimmick? "Through the Woods Building Supply". "Through the Woods Industrial Supply" "Through the Woods Carwash"... you see where I'm going with this. An attractive sign out front would be lots cheaper than taking down all those trees, and it would point people your way. Repeat customers would be telling their friends, "Yeah, I got it out at that place in the woods. You can't miss it. It's called Through the Woods ____ ___ __ and it's got beautiful trees all around it."

13. DNH

DNH

JotulYokel I really liked your idea but the place looked unprofessional and out of place with all the trees. I meet with my design team to look at options to try to utilize natural features, we could not come up with an option the incorporation all the trees.

Meche_03 most of the trees are down, I’ll be out there most Saturdays working for the next month if you want to come over.

14. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Oh man.... I hope you have a pic.... surely you know the motto....:whistle:
    :ithappened:
    :D

15. DNH

DNH

E91539B2-CE18-46F8-AB88-C41216EBFEDD.jpeg
    0FDFDDB0-7FD6-4388-8A6A-06DB9A1F89FD.jpeg

16. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  17. DNH

DNH

10615B58-E62D-45C0-921A-34A73AB3DA5A.jpeg 1B2945A8-0119-4D96-B213-5E9542ED7030.jpeg

The carnage, I think I have 50+ cord on the ground! Does this make me a firewood Corleone, or does it have to be CSS first?

What categories do we have for giving away wood? I hope to give away at least 20-30 cord ASAP. Leaving me 10 ish cords which will last me 3-5 years. I’m almost 2-3 years ahead.

18. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Wish I could pull that road closer to GA. Glad you will have some help though.

19. Meche_03

Meche_03

I thought of OP and this project this weekend. I drove past Lebanon 3 times this weekend. Back and forth to Springfield for indoor soccer and one last time heading out to Amarillo, TX. If my trailer light worked on the car trailer I could have dropped off the trailer and picked it up on the way back.

My dad recommend towing it without the lights working. I can't risk that type of ticket. It could impact my employment.
    I'll be in the area for spring break.

20. Donny Price

Donny Price

I really really would like to make a trip up the turnpike and come help you out but I just dont see it being a possibility with the way my schedule is going to fall before you get it all done.

Chazsbetterhalf and T.Jeff Veal like this.