In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Using a 4 wheel cart for firewood

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by sirbuildalot, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Jon_E

Jon_E

I have a Gorilla Cart from TSC. Basically a black plastic tub on four wheels. We use it for firewood and tons of other chores around the house during the summer. Was a very good investment.
    If you get one of these be careful esp. in cold weather as a large chunk of wood may crack the bed. :whistle:

2. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I found that out with my plastic tub wheelbarrow. The cart I ordered has a metal mesh bed. I'll put a piece of plywood in there as well.

Eric VW, Chvymn99, Chaz and 5 others like this.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

We have considered buying one of those type wagons and still might. They really look like they could be handy.

Eric VW, Chvymn99, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  4. Horkn

Horkn

On flat ground, you should be just fine. :handshake:

5. Horkn

Horkn

Mine has the metal mesh bed, and it came with a plastic mat, but I don't use the mat. I like having the dirt and chips fall through the grates.

6. jo191145

jo191145

If I was in the market I think I’d be looking for a little width in the tire treads. In hopes,of floating easier over muddy, soft ground. Will add a little extra pulling power on tar or frozen ground but I’ve seen so much mud this year,,,,,,,,,,

I put one of those neverflat tires on my moms favorite wheelbarrow. Skinnier profile than original. I’ve heard about it, let me tell ya I’ve heard about it.

7. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

My cart came in last night!

[​IMG]

Didn't take long to assemble. Maybe 15 minutes

[​IMG]

I had to try it out this morning. What a beast! This is a 34" x 52" bed stacked 20" high. That's 20 cubic feet, or 3/4 of a cubic yard. For comparison sake, folks with front end loaders on their tractors that have a 6' (72") wide buckets have around 1/2 cubic yard capacity. They do make high capacity buckets, but I'm talking standard dirt buckets. You may notice the firewood pup in training. She's gaining about 5 lbs a week, so soon maybe she can pull it. LOL

[​IMG]

It dwarfs big blue, and she held a lot of wood. Holds about 3 times what I could get on the wheel barrow.

[​IMG]

As for pulling, I really didn't find it too bad. As I mentioned before, my yard is fairly flat, and I'm a fairly strong guy. (550+ deadlift, and 450+ squat to parallel). I would probably recommend people who are not as strong or have hills may want to either get a smaller cart, or tow this one with a machine as that is an option with the reversible handle.

So far I really like it. Its a great addition to the operation. I could see myself getting a smaller one for around the tighter woodlot. Maybe a Gorilla Cart 800.

8. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Those carts are nice. What breed is the pup. Cute dog.

Eric VW and Chvymn99 like this.
  9. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Golden doodle

Eric VW, Chvymn99 and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  10. CtRider

CtRider

I have the gorilla. I like it a lot
    [​IMG]

Eric VW, Horkn, Chvymn99 and 3 others like this.
  11. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Looks like your helper does too.

Eric VW, Horkn and Chvymn99 like this.
  12. Gpsfool

Gpsfool

I have one of them black plastic tub gorilla carts - probably the smaller one. Up there with the best $$ I ever spent. I use it to haul splits from the shed to the house all winter long. Also for countless other chores throughout the year. Hand pull or with a quick switcharoo on the handle it connects to the garden tractor for pull behind.

Wifey also uses it for her gardening stuff.

Eric VW, CtRider, Horkn and 1 other person like this.
  13. Horkn

Horkn

Yeah, wider tires would help with soft ground. I bought some replacement wheel/tire combos from Amazon for my gorilla cart. I have had pinched tubes and that has ended up with a couple of flat tires. The replacement wheels are split rim ( an inside and outside half) that are bolted together where lugnuts would go if you can imagine that. Well... As soon as I thought about wider tires, I thought about using longer bolts and spacers to make dually wheels for stability and better flotation.

I haven't ordered more wheel/tires combos yet, but if I do, I'll post up pics.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Eric VW, jo191145 and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  14. jo191145

jo191145

I cheated. Couldnt stand those wheelbarrow tires that were on my small dump cart. First time I used it I flipped it in a rut.
    Slapped some lawnmower tires on it. No bearings so a yearly grease is in order. Good enough for what I paid for a used cart. Bonus is full of wood and going straight it erases the aggressive quad tracks in mushy grass :)

PS when you suggested V chains for traction on my atv I sort of Pooh poohed the idea thinking it may cause too much stress on the machine with all that weight.
    Thinking about it a little more I’m wrong on that. Lot less stress having the traction and pulling smooth than trying to rip and tear up a hill. Good call on your part. My bad ;)
    I’m done with that hill but I’ll keep them in mind if I have further issues. Thanks.
    7A50B86A-1E6A-45AB-9698-43A3F9E661C3.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Eric VW and Horkn like this.
  15. Horkn

Horkn

No problem. Just having more control makes it good to have traction;)

My Agri Fab ATV/ tractor cart I bought last spring has much wider tires than most, they are definitely not the skinny ones like some carts have. That's a big reason why I bought that one compared to others I've seen in Craigslist or FB. $50 well spent, and the main reason I didn't dually-ize the gorilla cart.

Eric VW and jo191145 like this.
  16. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I did an experiment one time on the blue dual wheel wheelbarrow. I put 16x6.5x8 garden tractor turf front tires on it. Had to put a longer axle on as well. Worked well.

jo191145, Horkn and Eric VW like this.
  17. Meche_03

Meche_03

We have 2 wagons ofon the farm. One the smaller 800# capacity mesh bottom carts and the other a radio flyer with wood side boards. The kids can load and haul them across the yard. Any larger and we would probably have to use a yard tractor or four wheeler to move them around.

The wagons are used to move sacks of feed from the driveway to the chicken coop and livestock barn.

jo191145, Horkn and Eric VW like this.
  18. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

MarkG has the same in yellow from RK.... fills it up and rolls right thru the basement door to the stove. I believe he enjoys it!
    Fire Flake wanted one until I reminded her of getting it down the 3 concrete steps to our basement door.... :emb:
    Nope.

jo191145, Horkn and Ronaldo like this.
  19. Horkn

Horkn

Make a ramp to use the cart down the stairs. :handshake:

jo191145 and Eric VW like this.
  20. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Too steep going down w/out me hitting the top of the doorframe. Not to mention steep vs. momentum... :faint:
    Believe me, I’ve run the scenarios. :confused:

jo191145 and Horkn like this.