In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Looking for ideas on how to run chimney pipe out a round roof (quonset) building

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by JASON6586, Feb 20, 2020.

1. JASON6586

JASON6586

I am looking at installing a wood burning stove in my round roof or sometimes called a quonset building, the roof is round so i dont know how to seal up the hole around the pipe when i cut the hole. Has anyone seen this done or have any ideas on how this could be done to make sure its sealed and does not pour water in.

thanks in advance

J

2. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Typically installed through the wall to a tee and up.

3. JASON6586

JASON6586

thanks for the quick response, if i was close enough to the end walls i sure would do that but the closest end wall to where i need to install the stove would be close to 20' away.

4. Well Seasoned

I see. Throw up a picture, we'll go from there Jason.

5. Well Seasoned

If it's the galvanized rib style hut, I'd go through the highest part of the rib, have a metal fab shop custom make your roof flashing. High temp silicone, storm collar you should be good to go.

6. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Welcome to FHC. You'll like it here. We like dogs, beer and pics. A lot of great people here with knowledge to share.

Well Seasoned and Horkn like this.
  7. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Lotsa high temp silicone!

Welcome to FHC JASON6586 :yes:

8. SpeedShop64

SpeedShop64

I went through the wall on my Quonset hut. Where I put the stove if I went vertical I would have had a bit of a challenge trying support the pipe sticking that far up. I would run the pipe up as close as you can get it to the highest point of your building. Mine is 13' tall in the center. Some custom flashing and high temp silicone/roofing cement should do yah. Welcome aboard and I'd like to see some pictures of your set up when you get it done.

9. yooperdave

yooperdave

^^^This!

There are flexible storm collar available for purchase, these should help in this application also.

Chazsbetterhalf and Horkn like this.
  10. JASON6586

JASON6586

I have looked into the storm collars and they will most likely work especially since the curvature of my roof is more gradual than others ive seen. My building is not steel, its 40'x120'x20 to the peak with laminate rafters, plywood and a layer of tar paper, shingles, 2x3's and then 5 year old commercial 3/4" rib steel. If you look up Starwood Rafters, that is the company that built my rafters. I'm most likely over thinking this whole thing but i absolutely hate to cut holes into a new steel roof or any roof in general. I'm forced to locate this stove in the location its going in based off of interior divider walls.

Thanks Again

11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I heard lead flashing could work. You can bend and shape it. Try a roofing distributor, they use them on tile roofs.