In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★☆☆☆☆ Vermont Castings Encore Flexburn

Discussion in 'Wood Stoves' started by Dumf, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Two VC Encore Flexburns failed to be safe, to burn, to use. Both returned as unsafe.
    The first had a primary air control defect that could not be repaired by the dealer techs. It would not shut down completely or enough for a slow burn when the cat was "lit off".
    The replacement VC Encore Flexburn had an uncontrollable overfire after 3 days of light burning. We had to grab the live burning logs to throw out in the snow.
    The former owner of the dealership not only took the stove back but al;so refunded all the purchase price.
    We've had many Vermont Casting stoves over decades before the "new improved" Flexburns.

wildwest likes this.
  2. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Once they were bought out by hht, the quality has gone way down.

wildwest likes this.
  3. John Harris

John Harris

I have just installed a VC Encore 2040 Flexiburn. The primary air control only move from 3:30 to 6:30, at which point it is restricted by a "springy" stop, not a solid stop. I have seen videos where the primary air control moves from 3:30 to 8:30; the UK dealership say all of the Encores' are the same, they stop at 6:30. I can get the stove going and I have kept it in all night, we like the look of the stove and our previous VC Resolute lasted from 1982 until now. Does anybody have an Encore 2040 that is working propery, if so, how much movement do you get from the primary air control. I have contacted VC direct and they say ask the local ageant because it is not in the paperwork in customer services. John in the UK

4. Dumf

Dumf Banned

We had 3 pre Flexburn VC Encores (2550) for 24/7 heating over many years. They were sold and are used for safe and reliable heat even now. The maintenance was involved but the stoves did well for us.
    Those two ( 2 ! ) new 2040 Encores were dangerous, unsafe, not "ready for prime time". Hope yours will work for you.
    The company has no customer service...none. Dealers have to rely on HQ for problems.
    There are pretty appliances. That's it.