In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The sun's role in drying

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Yawner, Nov 14, 2019.

1. red oak

red oak

My stacks don’t get the most sun - I wish it got more. But they still get plenty dry with enough time. Top covering is essential in my area though. I used to leave wood uncovered and as I got further ahead I lost a lot of btus. Now it’s under a roof for 3 years and I should have built those rooves 10 years ago.

2. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

I stack in the open, but relatively to fully shaded. I just put some White Oak that was stacked single row in July of 2018 into the boiler. Had good air flow & zero sun in that area. Light off in under 30 seconds on decent coals & no sizzle at all. I'm in the airflow first & sun next camp. The wood was not top covered. Sun doesn't shine only about 48% of the time in West Michigan, so I look for wind.

Buzz Benton and Backwoods Savage like this.
  3. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

It's gone every year, every last stick. That was worked up between October and March.

I have about half that much cut already this year. It's all in rounds presently.