In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Weighted Axe Head

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Oct 13, 2020.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

"Found" my Collins axe the other day near the grill and firepit. Havent used it on regular firewood in some time. I was splitting some black locust with it and was halving them with the Isocore. I like the longer cutting edge vs. the X27. Got to thinking. Is there a heavy axe head but not shaped like a maul?
    Any recommendations?

Screwloose and MikeInMa like this.
  2. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

4 lb heads are fairly easy to find, and I have been looking for a heavier head than that, and have found a few on ebay, but so far have not bought one that heavy, because I have not found one that I liked the bit profile on, that much. Sometimes you can find an old 4 and 1/2 to 5 lb Jersey or Kentucky head on ebay. But they often go a little higher then I want to pay.

The best ax I have found is a Plumb 4 lb double bit with slightly convex cheeks. I have several single bits in various shapes but I find a good double bit to normally be better. They balance better, and they are more accurate for me, and accuracy is very important. And they seem to work better for the flick maneuver where you sorta of lay the ax over right at point of impact, which helps the wood split and reduces the chances of sticking the ax. But I still have to use the maul sometimes.

3. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I've had this abused axe for a while. I think it was a trickle down..

IMG_20201116_114630532.jpg IMG_20201116_114640664.jpg IMG_20201116_114647037.jpg

The flat side is mushroomed over. And it needs a new handle. Thus the abuse.

It's yours if you want it Brad.

Screwloose and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I have a couple that look like that waiting for handles. The Collins has mushroomed over like that too. Im wondering if there is an ax shaped head but with the weight of a maul? I like the 5" wide cutting edge on the collins. Im tempted to go back to the X25 with the shorter handle. Had one years back but lost it roadside. Find myself choking up on the X27 all the time. Accidentally left the Isocore at that locust score last week. Good excuse to go back for more locust! :tree::whistle:
    Thanks Mike. Ill take the dollar if you dont want it? :rofl: :lol:

Screwloose and MikeInMa like this.
  5. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I'll, put the dollar back in my wallet and the axe back on a shelf. Somebody will want it someday. Maybe fishingpol, as he's a forger of sorts.

6. fishingpol

fishingpol

I'm good for now Mike. Thank you though. I haven't had time to do much metal work lately.

Screwloose, buZZsaw BRAD and MikeInMa like this.
  7. B.Brown

B.Brown

the bad thing about buying abused axes, the handles are getting pretty expensive. So, i've bought 3 Fiskars, and one fiiskar hatchet. Little spendy, but, i'll never have to replace the handle in my time. And, the lifetime guarantee is good Pretty much problem solved for me anyway.

Screwloose, buZZsaw BRAD and MikeInMa like this.
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Yup, broke my X27 and it was replaced hassle free.

Screwloose and Ronaldo like this.
  9. Cheepbeer

Cheepbeer

Last year I bought an isocore 8#maul. I’m getting kind of old and 8# isn’t controllable any more. Now I see fiskers is making it in a 6#...go figure. I’ve got an x27 I use most of the time. Got an x25, but the handle’s too short.

Screwloose likes this.
  10. Cheepbeer

Cheepbeer

Brad, take a grinder to the mushroom on your Collins. That’s what I like about the isocore, it’s got a big striking surface. Once my axe sticks, I use a short handle 8# hammer to beat it to submission. Been whooping’ on the x27. We’ll she how long she lasts.

11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I use the iso t half. Then the X27 or collins to finish. I had a X25 and once i got used to it i loved it. Lost it roadside a few years ago. Find myself choking up on the X27 all the time. Wanna sell your X25???

I used to do that to my X27 as well if it stuck. Wonder if that led to its eventual breaking. Warranty covered it and got a new one when it broke.

Screwloose likes this.
  12. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

The butt end of the x27 is not designed to be hit, or for it to be used as a hammer.

Screwloose likes this.
  13. Cheepbeer

Cheepbeer

Yup, I know that, but that’s how I roll. I always figured how stupid it was to wear yourself out reefin’ on an axe to get it out so you can stick it again. Also, all that reefin’ loosens handles.

Screwloose likes this.
  14. Cheepbeer

Cheepbeer

I can’t find that x25 anywhere. If I bought another, I’d find it immediately!

Screwloose likes this.
  15. bert the turtle

bert the turtle

Tuatahi makes racing axes that fit your description. They are very expensive however.

16. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I just looked them up and you werent kidding. Good thing i was sitting down when i saw the price.

Screwloose and bert the turtle like this.
  17. RIburn

RIburn

But they're on sale now... :bug:on the website
    Tuatahi Work Axe with handle fitted - was $447.00 - NOW $390
    Tuatahi Work Axe with wings ground out and handle fitted - was $483.00 - NOW $425

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  18. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Do you own one RIburn ?

Screwloose and RIburn like this.
  19. RIburn

RIburn

Can only wish. Just hand me downs for me - 5 axes and mauls - although I have a soon to arrive X25 (Friday) and a Stihl splitting axe I picked up 3 years ago at Runnings. I love the weight of the Stihl and use that to halve or quarter larger rounds then pick an axe to take over. I am just about 6' with longer arms but went with the X25 due to shorter handle (similar length as the Stihl) than the X27. I have one axe (don't remember maker) that the handle is just over 30" that is a tad too long for me.

Screwloose, Ronaldo and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I was gifted an X25 a few years ago and hated it...at first. Like you im 6' and learned to like it without realizing it. Halfed many a big round with it. Ended up losing it at a roadside scrounge in the leaves. Had been give an X27 and use that, but find myself choking up on the handle all the time. I also have a Collins ax (made in Connecticut) with a shorter handle and wider cutting edge which i like as well.

Screwloose and campinspecter like this.