In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★★★ Woodstock Fireview

Discussion in 'Wood Stoves' started by macpolski, Aug 30, 2014.

1. macpolski

macpolski

Everything can be summed up in one word - Awesome. We purchased the stove last spring and installed it into a fireplace with an exterior brick chimney with flue tiles into which an insulated liner was installed. We had worked hard getting ahead in firewood and although not perfect, it was hitting 17-23% with a moisture meter. I decided I wanted to burn 24/7 and not burn the oil fired forced air furnace. We took a few weekend trips during the winter and coming home to a cold house required me to light the stove as well as the furnace to bring the house up to temp. It amazing when everything in the entire structure is around 50 degrees how much heat is required. These are the only times when the furnace was used and I think we burned perhaps 10 gallons of fuel oil all winter.

Granted the South Jersey winters are not as harsh as other parts of the country, it was colder than normal and colder longer than we've had in quite a while. The performance of the Fireview is awesome. Our home is a 1500 sq. ft. rancher with average insulation. It had no problem keeping the house comfy. Overnight burns were the norm and it was nice to just load it up in the morning on hot coals. No restarting here.
    I learned at the tail end of the season, that if I turned the air down so no flame was present, the catalyst glowed and was producing heat beautifully. I'm sure there is more to learn.

We have been burning firewood in stoves for years but nothing compares to the functional beauty of the Fireview. Nothing compares to the superb customer service of the Woodstock Soapstone Company. We took the factory tour in January and purchased the stove in March. The friendliest bunch of helpful people around.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2014
    Maina, Brad M, chance04 and 3 others like this.
  2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

We're nearing the end of our 8th year with the Fireview. Couldn't be happier.

Best is that we are heating more now than we used to and keeping the home around the 80 degree mark all winter. Even when the temperature gets down to -20 or lower, we still heat the house just fine. With our previous stove, we were never comfortable and also had to close off part of the house every winter. Now we are warm and never close off part of the house and have also put on an addition.

With the old stove we burned from 6 to 7 1/2 cord of wood each year. With the Fireview, we burn around 3 cord.

In addition, I can't say enough good about Woodstock and although you won't find their stoves in stove stores, buying direct has benefits and the service you get from Woodstock is second to none.

Maina, Brad M and chance04 like this.
  3. macpolski

macpolski

Update: The Fireview is still wonderful burning into the 5th year. No complaints whatsoever. It a beautiful woodburner. I've been up on the roof a few times, pulling the chimney cap, and view down the liner. Nah, doesn't need cleaning yet. Well today, I decided it's time. I used a Gardus Soot Eater to spin the "cling-ons" loose and catch them in a bag under to flue Tee in the firebox of the fireplace. 5 years and a 1/2 coffee can of ash/soot. Wow!!
    95% of my wood fuel is oak, red - 80% and white - 20% ; seasoned 3+ years. The two biggest keys are the catalyst and the wood is 3+ years on the stack.

Hoytman, Ohio, Maina and 3 others like this.