In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Who could ever say "no" to campfire in the mountains of Maine???

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Scotty Overkill, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Do one in the summer wearing your winter clothes! I look great in full winter clothes, maybe that’s why I like winter!:)

2. Stinny

Stinny

I look great in full winter clothes, maybe that’s why I like winter! ... :rofl: :lol:... these days, the more layers coverin' up all the lard on this ole dude... the bettah. And, maaaaaaybe I oughta do sumthin about that... :whistle:

3. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

I’ve been on a diet for over a month now. Man it’s tough to lose weight at this age.

4. Stinny

Stinny

Scott and I stood the ladder/stairs up and screwed em on at the cabin. Vicki actually got up there too... though that comin' down thing is gonna need some practice. She's not a big fan of height. Surprised she even went up...

upload_2017-10-19_15-39-37.png

I tried to just let Scott just relax and get away from the daily routine for a bit, but he couldn't stand it and had to cut sumthin. Took down this old dead one (fire pit wood) and a poplar down along the woods trail... of course, my saw wouldn't start (been a while), dull chain, old gas and practically out of bar erl... how's that for showin' off my firewood skills... :rofl: :lol:... :picard:

upload_2017-10-19_15-45-34.png

5. Stinny

Stinny

My honey keeps tellin me it's got sumthin to do with the speed of my pie hole hand vs the speed of my m'azz... :deadhorse:

6. Stinny

Stinny

Found a vid of exactly what was goin' on last night... Scott would do a call and an owl would reply from just beyond the stonewall, below the firepit... over and over. It was unreal. After a while a 2nd owl came in and they went at it. Within 1/2 hr we could hear one way off to our west and one to the north. Scotty woke up the whole herd... :rofl: :lol:

7. yooperdave

yooperdave

Hoping to see some sort of handrail on those steps there, brother....

Please.

8. yooperdave

yooperdave

Been a few years since I've had the pleasure of hearing one. Must've been funny calling them in!

9. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We have a few on the backhill, our new dog was spooked by the sound the first few times she heard them.

10. Stinny

Stinny

I've never had anyone call em in like that. The 1st one was way down in the woods and Scotty called him up. When the 2 owls went at it they sounded more like monkees than birds. Not sure I'd like hearin' that for the first time, alone down in the woods at night... if I didn't know. Visions of those Oz flyin' monkees in the trees... :rofl: :lol:

11. Stinny

Stinny

Vicki recorded them last night on her iPhone... and ole Giz just flipped when she just played it...

12. fishingpol

fishingpol

It looks like you had a great visit up there.

We have barred owls in our area and I have seen them in the daytime silently gliding through the trees.

I have a barred owl call that I picked up on a bird banding tours years ago. They would use them very briefly to attract songbirds into the mist nets for banding. You inhale to make the reed work and cup your hand for deeper tones. It is a pretty good call, but only to be used briefly as it can stress birds out.

20171019_194330.jpg

13. HDRock

HDRock

[​IMG]

14. HDRock

HDRock

[​IMG]

15. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Just so everyone knows, there is not ONE PERSON here that I would not want to come to a Maine gathering. As a Christian I know:

Love thy God with all your heart, and,
    Love your neighbor as yourself

is what I am always supposed to do, but struggle sometimes with being opinionated. I battle with that, I am aware of it, and I am sorry sometimes I get so passionate. I would hope that would never stop someone from coming that is for sure though.

Online forums are hard to depict personalities sometimes, but I am one of those guys that could have someone call my mother a woman of ill repute and still have coffee with them. I don't get upset. So if anyone thinks they would ever like to come to Maine and think, "jeesh I said this one time and LodgedTree disagreed"...nonsense friend, grab your can of Folgers and head east! I am not that bad of a guy, and Katie is even nicer!

Katie and I

1922538_518544408263873_775242477_n.jpg

16. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

A peaceful and low-stress life has more to do with how you react to things around you, and less to do than those things themselves.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

17. Midwinter

Midwinter

Of course you are a good guy, and you clean up real nice! Is a can of Folgers the appropriate host/hostess gift?

18. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

wise old timer do you want to react or respond.. difference one require thought before action

19. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Well I really gotta say, Vicki and Dave are fantastic people. I consider them family already. They went out of their way to make us feel at home, which we did....
    And I didn't expect any of that. Wifey and I had an absolute blast.

They've got permanent family here in PA now!!

20. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

I'll post up pics sometime later once I get time to go thru them all....;)

Well Seasoned, HDRock, Stinny and 4 others like this.