In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's your best advice?

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by CurDog, May 27, 2017.

1. yooperdave

yooperdave

I have heard from hunters that wild turkey is drier than domestic. That and the fact that it is so easy to overcook a bird on a grill/smoker probably led to its dryness.
    The bird will continue to cook after you pull it off the grill with the residual heat it retains, also.

Good luck with it next time!

NortheastAl and Chvymn99 like this.
  2. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

My evolution of smoking has been a charcoal vertical smoker, horizontal smoker, vertical propane and now a Traeger pellet smoker.

My place has 45 wooded acres and I feel odd using pellets. I want to use wood but I can do so much more with pellets. I can set it and go deer hunting, mow the grass, run to town, cut wood or sleep all night. None of my other smokers let me do that. Some of the charcoal smokers will let you " set it and forget it" but a pellet smoker fits my lifestyle. An electric smoker definitely has its benefits.

Use the heck out of it and don't be in a hurry to change styles. What you have is going to feed you well for a long time and will give you more time for other things. Enjoy your smoked goodness.

3. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

Be sure to soak whatever wood you're going to smoke with in water for several hours minimum before you cook. If it's good and waterlogged, it will give a couple of benefits- it will actually smoke for a long time and slowly burn away, allowing the smoke to give your meat good flavor. The other benefit is that as the water escapes while the wood dries/heats/smokes/burns, you're adding moisture to the atmosphere inside your smoker...helping to keep your meat moist.

Chvymn99 and NortheastAl like this.
  4. lukem

lukem

Brine what you are smoking. The meat will be a lot more forgiving for a newb.

16 parts water....1 part kosher salt....1 part brown sugar.