In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's a big red oak worth?

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by krooser, Apr 15, 2017.

1. yooperdave

yooperdave

Don't get me wrong, a large tree is always appreciated. Man, if they could tell stories of the changes they saw.....

The county I live in was supposed to have the oldest maple in the state....from before Columbus set foot on America. Now that's old.

It finally died and blew over, though. Before I saw it....

If you truly enjoy the large trees, I suggest a road trip out West to California and view the Sequoias/Redwoods. Phenomenal! If you can only see one of them, pick the sequoias and skip the trip to the coastline. Well worth it.

RCBS likes this.
  2. scavenger

scavenger

Been there yooperdave back when dad insisted on the cross country month long trip...I was an awkward 13 years old but remember very distinctly the sequoia as we camped there...reference the movie Vertigo when jimmy Stewart is in the forest....undocumented but my mother has a locust at least 30' circumference we always thought was a monster....

yooperdave likes this.
  3. yooperdave

yooperdave

That trip was on my to do list (bucket list). Sure wish I could've made a month long out of it...you're lucky!

Every time I see a big tree around here, I think of taking a pic and posting it, but then.....reality/judgement sets in.

4. scavenger

scavenger

Let's make a BIG TREE post....

yooperdave likes this.
  5. yooperdave

yooperdave

edit.

I may be wrong on this; it may have been the largest in the U.P. or maybe the county......I can't find anything about it on the web. :emb:

6. scavenger

scavenger

Don't worry about how you stack up....what I think is BIG is all I'm thinking....pics please

7. chris

chris

Don't know if any on e caught this , but remember the drive through Sequoia in the National park- well time took it's toll and it is no more other than in pic

yooperdave likes this.
  8. scavenger

scavenger

I was just on the Sequoia National Park website and there is no indication that the General's Highway is closed---have I misunderstood what you said? (again?):confused:

9. chris

chris

It was only closed for bit to clear the tree out - No more driving through tunnel in tree. The pic I saw had it letting go just above the root ball on one side and tipping over.

10. scavenger

scavenger

Probably from all the exhaust---I get the same way behind a semi....

11. Oldman47

Oldman47

They did recently lose one of the big trees. It was one with a road cut through it. I like the idea of posting pictures of our own large trees. I have a bur oak that might be a record breaking tree if it was evaluated. I had a tree stand in it a few years back and to get to the tree stand I used lag bolts for steps, but in the middle of my climb I would step out onto a branch that was over 2 feet in diameter before continuing. The tree is in a low spot in my woodlot and is surrounded on 3 sides by a seasonal creek. It completely dominates over 2 acres of low land with its daughter trees up to 2 foot in diameter growing under it. Your challenge has me considering the hike back in to get a few pictures. It has probably been 10 years since I actually saw it. For all I know, it has laid down on the ground but it was in robust good health the last time I was there.

milleo and yooperdave like this.
  12. yooperdave

yooperdave

Please do!