In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What gives with these "2.5 gal" Stihl Silver HP ULTRA Bottles, 6.4 oz?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Boog, May 14, 2014.

1. Hedgerow

Hedgerow

You mean I need to stop the "2 glugs per gallon mix method"?

mdavlee, clemsonfor and Boog like this.
  2. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Naahhh. Just add half a glug and call it good.

mdavlee and Hedgerow like this.
  3. the GOAT

the GOAT Banned

*as long as it's amsoil you're glugging.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2014
    clemsonfor likes this.
  4. nate

nate Banned

My understanding is extra oil is not necessarily a "good thing".

The oil doesn't burn as well as gas. If you add more oil, that means the cylinder is fed a mix that contains less good burning gas and more poor burning oil while the amount of air hasn't changed.
    That creates a lean mixture.

I'd guess the difference between 40 or 50:1 isn't an issue, but 32:1, 24:1, etc in a 50:1 saw might be?

Also with that much oil I'd imagine it would really gunk up the muffler and cylinder/piston/rings with carbon.

I just mention this as I've done the "extra glug or two" for good measure mixture before.

5. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Thats why you use quality syn oil it does not carbon up. The saw builders have shown that.

As to the lean issue...your correct but thats why you tune your saw for your mixture. Dont be running g your factory tuned 50:1 saw on 32:1 oil and never adjust it. Now you may not needs too as well. I use to run 40:1 always. Here recently I went to 32:1, I did not need to adjust my saws H screw they were all fine on the mix. You see a bit more oil slick on the muffler in wet mess if you run short periods bit if you run any amount t of time its dry as the stuff burns off.

6. Hedgerow

Hedgerow

You're correct... Many users don't realize that too much oil in the fuel can actually make a factory set saw run lean.. And too much old Dino oil accompanied by a rich fuel/air mix can cause carbon build up..
    But to those in the know, the new synthetic oils can be run at a much richer mix without carbon build up..
    There's also no replacement to knowing how to tune a carb correctly..

mdavlee and clemsonfor like this.
  7. mdavlee

mdavlee

You get almost zero build up with maxima k2, motul 710/800, or belray H1r. I don't like belray since t bother my sinuses and changes the tune more than any other oil.

8. JRSDWS

JRSDWS

Been mixing Castor 927 at 40:1 until the arrival of my first ported saw. I'm now going 36:1 across the board. I have a fair amount of the 927 and Stihl Ultra (to get the double warranty) to use up then I'm trying the Amsoil Dominator. I needed oil for my Subaru and several small engines so I signed up for the preferred customer program. I'm a oil change-a-holic so this should save me some coin over a years time.

MasterMech and clemsonfor like this.
  9. mdavlee

mdavlee

The caster 927 oil works good. Its got a nice smell to it.

10. the GOAT

the GOAT Banned

Anyone try the royal purple hp-2c? Price is good for a full synthetic (10 a qt, 40 a gallon free shipping). And they advertise as fine for chainsaws and it's ash less..... But they also say it's good for outboards? And it used to be called a tcw3 oil.

I think I just talked myself out of it-- I want to find a full synthetic available on amazon with free shipping. Guess it's between k2 and castor 927.

http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-...bs_auto_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0J4EB5T9BW2Q6K3451CT

clemsonfor likes this.
  11. nate

nate Banned

I change the vehicles every 25,000 miles and the equipment every 750hrs. 5w40 Rotella.

Might seem high but the oil reports come back fine even at that point.

IHATEPROPANE and clemsonfor like this.
  12. Carbine

Carbine

Explain how Lucas semi-synthetic has greater detergency than Stihl Ultra... You shouldn't be getting carbon build up with either. Lucas is a better oil, for a 1/3 of the price, which is why I switched. JASO-D vs. the JASO-B rating of Stihl Ultra. Give it a shot, and don't get hung up on the fact that it is not fully synthetic. I have been through almost 2 gallons in the last few weeks and it seems to be going great. I also run it in my lawn-boy push mower, which has more than likely seen cheap dino at 32:1 since it was bought new.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  13. Hedgerow

Hedgerow

With as much as I've been going through lately, I just needed something cheaper...
    Stihl Ultra was always available and easy, but at 2-6 packs of the 2.5's a month, it was getting expensive.. That and there was no bargain for ordering the gallon jugs through the dealer... They just looked at me like I was an idiot...

Soo...
    Lucas it is!!!!

14. mdavlee

mdavlee

I'll have to try that Lucas. If not K2 isn't too bad price wise.

Carbine likes this.
  15. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

Am I the only one that uses Supertech? :whistle:

Hedgerow and the GOAT like this.
  16. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I use it on my boat...it according to boat forums is the best for the money

17. mdavlee

mdavlee

Never tried super tech. I will use the poulan/husky synthetic stuff from Walmart in a pinch. I need to order some more maxima K2. Its about the least obnoxious oder when milling.

18. nate

nate Banned

I normally dump a gallon in my diesel bulk tank when it gets filled (275 gals).

19. Machria

Machria

So I liked that link so much, I ordered one. Got it, and not happy with it. It is marked nicely, and is readable and all, but the problem is it is made for large volumes, not small 1 and 2 gallons of fuel. When you are trying to use it for 1 or 2 gallons, you are using 1/20th of the container, so more oil is stuck on the sides of the bottle then what ends up going into the fuel. And since your at the very bottom of the bottle, there is not much accuracy... It would be fine it you are using larger fuel tanks. But I'm mainly using 1 and 2 gallon fuel tanks.

So I just logged in to post this same link!! I saw this one and that is PERFECT. I already have this model measuring "cup", but mine does not have the lid which is a pita (always falling over and dripping oil... and worst, gets dirt and dust into it, which must be cleaned before use... I found they also sell just the replacement lid, so I just ordered a lid for mine. The funnel shape gives very accurate readings with low volumes, and yet still allows for high volumes.

20. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Castor 927 reminds me of my racing days. Still why I run it today.

I didn't know about the Preferred Customers program..

MM, shoot me a text with some prices. I don't want to put you out at cost, but I live to help a friend. I would gladly take some Dominator. :)