In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Vermont castings Aspen non-catalytic stove

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by J. Dirt, Aug 17, 2017.

1. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

I was at a local hardware / stove shop today and noticed this little guy sitting in the corner. They didn't seem to know much about it just curious if anyone had one?

2. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

VT castings quality has gone down hill lately cousin used to work there 6 years ago and he couldn't get parts:eek:

3. fishingpol

fishingpol

I had one many years ago. Not a bad little stove and it was a good looker.

The problem I had that it was in my fireplace vented up into flue. The stove has a bi-mettalic spring for the air in take in the back bottom plate. The stove kept the brick firebox warm and the damper always seemed to never open fully. I could never get a hot fire with that stove. No fault of the stove, but I would not recommend it for a fireplace install.

The ash pan was long too. If coals fell down the grate while emptying, putting the ash pan back caused a buildup almost to the point that I could not close it. Getting coals out of the bottom was a pita.

J. Dirt and Canadian border VT like this.
  4. moresnow

moresnow

Possibly skip using the ash pan? Not that I am familiar with that model. Just a thought!

J. Dirt and fishingpol like this.
  5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

jdirt where's it going certainly not quality of lopI in your sig... might be a good kicker stove if that's what your thinking.... don't get me wrong they are pretty and do heat when they work... I live in state Thathat makes them

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    J. Dirt likes this.
  6. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

I'm looking as a supplemental part time small heat so maybe a good option :cool: How about wood size or loading? Don't imagine you jam monster splits in 4 deep and let it rip?

7. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

It might work for your application. I think there are too many small stove options out there for a gamble on a Vermont Castings. I've owned 2 and have installed and been around several others. Great lookers but I would go with a better design.

J. Dirt likes this.
  8. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

As far as looks go it doesn't really matter to me. It did seem a little on the chincy side for sure

HDRock likes this.