In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Using a wood fireplace properly

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by Jnicholes, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Jnicholes

Jnicholes

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, I just joined today. I am here because there are a couple of things I am trying to learn to do, and I would like help learning. I moved from a house that had a gas fireplace to a house that has an old wood fireplace. I have no idea how to use it properly, and I want to learn because this upcoming winter is supposed to be hard, and I want to prepare.

I want to post a picture of the fireplace to show you, but I dont know how to post pictures yet. I think I did it correctly.

When I last used the fireplace, the chamber where the wood was filled with smoke. I do not know if this is a problem or not. Is it a problem? Smoke was still going out the chimney, by the way.

Any help learning how to use this wood fireplace properly will be much appreciated.

Jared

Attached Files:

2. Horkn

Horkn

Ahhh. That's an insert, which is a wood stove made to fit in the fireplace opening.

Have you checked the chimney/ liner? Check to see if it's either got a round chimney liner, or if the original chimney is being used.

Once you know what you are working with, report back.

Oh, and welcome to FHC!

3. Jnicholes

Jnicholes

Hello,

I am pretty sure it is the original chimney. This is an old house and many parts have been added on to it. We,(my family,) are almost certain it's the original. We have burned stuff in it once, but haven't used it since. It was cleaned professionally also.

Jared

Eric VW, wildwest and Horkn like this.
  4. Horkn

Horkn

So if that's the case, it's what's called a "slammer". That's just the way inserts were done at that time.

A slammer just had the stove pipe stub to lead into the chimney. Unfortunately, this reduces the velocity of the exhaust/smoke and that along with the cooling effect of the chimney can allow creosote to form. Creosote it's highly flammable, and causes chimney fires.

I used to operate a slammer in our family's house for a lot of years. They can work, but insurance companies don't like them because of the chimney fire issues.

If I were you, I'd see if you can install a full chimney liner.

5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

6. Jnicholes

Jnicholes

Hello,

It should be safe to use, it was cleaned professionally by a company sent by the landlord. The landlord gave us the ok to use it also. I could be wrong about the chimney also, we only recently moved to this house, and I don't know if a liner was added or not.

At least it was professionally cleaned!

Jared

Eric VW, bocefus78, HDRock and 2 others like this.
  7. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, you need to know what the quality is of the wood that you are going to burn. I'm only talking moisture content, not whether it's say poplar or hickory.

There's only one way to actually know the moisture content of the wood you are burning, and that is to use a moisture meter. It's an inexpensive but hugely useful tool that you need to use if you don't have wood seasoning for 2+ years. You can buy a moisture meter for 20-30 dollars.

Even if you have wood seasoned for any amount of time, you are assuming the moisture content of the wood. Now if the wood has been drying for years under cover, it more than likely is dry enough. Getting to the point where you are in years ahead with wood, is a huge task.

8. Horkn

Horkn

If you can post a picture of the top cap of the chimney, that should tell us if it had a liner.

If you have that the insert is ok to use from the landlord in writing, then you're all good.

If I was renting out a house with an insert, it would have a liner.

Eric VW, HDRock and wildwest like this.
  9. Unicorn1

Unicorn1

Does the insert have a damper to open/close off air. Is this an insert with a catalytic converter? When you want to open the stove door you would open the damper to prevent smoke from going into the room, also the dampener allows air in to the burning area to aid in burning the wood ,ie small fire vs roaring fire.. welcome to the FHC.

Edit: the handle on the lower right of the stove looks like an air dampener.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Horkn, Eric VW, HDRock and 1 other person like this.
  10. HDRock

HDRock

It would be good if you could take a pic of the inside top ,of the stove/insert
    Would be nice to find out manufacture and model , don't know if can find any markings or labels on the insert , but look around
    Like said , bottom right handle is most likely the air control , one way or the other controls more or less air into the unit

Horkn, Eric VW and wildwest like this.
  11. bocefus78

bocefus78

Good advice so far! I would also suggest asking your renters insurance provider if wood stove inserts are covered by your policy. If you don't have renters insurance, get it. It's cheap.

Welcome to fhc.....we will get you burning in that thing soon.

12. Unicorn1

Unicorn1

Insert looks a bit like a County Flame stove?

Eric VW and HDRock like this.