In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

True North tn19 arrived today

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by billb3, Nov 19, 2013.

1. billb3

billb3

replaces a Scandia copy of a Trolla 104 -- 0.6 cu ft fire box

baked the paint with the doors open with some 2x4 this afternoon.
    Put a 4 inch piece of oak in at 4pm with a 2x4
    Put a second 4 inch piece of oak in at 6 PM
    outside temp dropped from 50 ( had the doors open to vent the paint smell) to 40
    inside temp now up to 69 ( doors closed)
    I've got this as low as it will go.
    Need some thermometers.
    This stove is sweet sweet sweet.
    Amazing secondaries with rather small pieces of nice dry oak.
    Granted, it's not so cold out , but I'm running this as low as it will go and still have secondaries.
    Some smoke earlier when I was burning just 2x4s, and not much of a secondary show, but with nice dry oak this is really really nice.
    I think this stove is gonna work real well for a unfinished basement install.

IMG_0261.JPG IMG_0260.JPG IMG_0259.JPG IMG_0258.JPG IMG_0257.JPG IMG_0256.JPG IMG_0255.JPG IMG_0254.JPG

Yeah, the glass is smoked up already, not too bad considering I'm trying to keep the temps down initially and see how low it will go.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  2. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Looking good!!! Keep us posted on your progress with it

3. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

Less than a foot cubed of stove. What area are you heating? Looks like a neat little stove.

4. billb3

billb3

The tn19 is 1.9 cubic feet, the old POS scandia was 0,6 - it would heat up the room ( up those stairs to the right of the stove) if the furnace got it up to 65 or so first. The True North is doing it without the furnace. The kitchen is right above the stove and the furnace didn't come on to heat that room up tonite either and it is up to 71.

I'm just farting around with it trying to keep the temps low to bake the paint. ( It does smell a little ) - and play with fire, of course. :)

papadave likes this.
  5. Certified106

Certified106

Very cool stove! I have always wanted to see one in person. Congrats on the new stove!

6. fox9988

fox9988

Not may TN19 reviews to be found. Ill be looking forward to hear more about it. I saw one at the local dealer, I really liked it and a nice price. Good looking fire show, especially considering all the moisture cooking out of the fire brick (maybe why the glass got dirty).

7. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR

Well, hot damm, good to see that stove is still around. PE took it off their site and the True North site no longer exists. I was wondering what happened to it. The reports I read was that it was a really good and economical wood stove. Supposedly produced good heat with good burn times.

8. jeff_t

jeff_t

I have asked this before somewhere else, but didn't get an answer. Does this stove have a secondary air control linked to the primary air control? Like the super series stoves, T5, super 27, etc. I think that is the key to some crazy long burns from a non-cat stove of this size.

I wonder if this was carryover at your dealer. It isn't on Tom's site anymore, either. I don't think it was a brisk seller, which I actually find a bit surprising.

9. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR

I feel the same. If I recall, it was available for about $900. Which is a pretty good price.

10. billb3

billb3

Meant to ask twice and forgot.

It has been a bit too warm to do much more than see how low it can go.
    Cold stove during the day.
    Glass is cleaning up so maybe some of the initial soot on the glass was the fire brick.

One night I got a good bed of coals going by 8PM and tossed a couple medium size chunks of nice oak in and there were some coals at 7AM - but didn't try to get a fire going with them as it was supposed to be 60 by noon.
    Wasn't windy and wasn't terribly cold -twenty something for a evening low

Paid $1000 with legs and no blower.