In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tropical Storm Harvey heading to Gulf Coast same time as me.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Casper, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Casper

Casper

I have a conference in New Orleans next week. Harvey blew up this morning after all but dying out after hitting the Yucatan Peninsula. I have a conference where I'm speaking next Wednesday. I was supposed to fly into New Orleans on Tuesday but now I'm thinking about just driving so I can have some supplies if needed. By supplies I'm talking water, food (MREs) and of course something for protection.
    From what I'm reading on the tropical storm forums, there are only best guesses where this thing will go since there are no strong steering currents. I'm thinking of cancelling my hotel reservation and staying a bit north or east, maybe Biloxi and drive in. If this turns out to be a big over hyped nothing, the drive in shouldn't be an issue. If it turns into a major natural disaster, I wouldn't want to be there anyway.

This isn't my first time dealing with a tropical storm. I spent a lot of time in Mississippi after Katrina doing relief and then recovery work. Unless I was there in that capacity, I'd want to stay out of the area.

Some of the radar loops show the cloud tops just boiling. The lastest was a huge convection right at the center of circulation. It will be interesting to see what the conference decides as this thing develops.

2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Well, a storm named Harvey has to be like my avatar Harvey.... unpredictable and unconcerned about the outcome!
    :hair:
    :rofl: :lol:
    Stay safe Casper :handshake:

3. Casper

Casper

Sounds like this Harvey is going to be pi$$ing all over SE Texas and Louisiana this coming week. Hopefully, your's is better behaved.;)

4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

For the most part....:whistle:
    :rofl: :lol:

5. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

6. Casper

Casper

Yep, last year this conference was in Orlando, FL. Hermine (TD) hit while we were there. Lots of rain, not much wind.

7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

For sure, good luck on this one Casper. I'd probably drive this time too.

Eric VW and SKEETER McCLUSKEY like this.
  8. GranpaJohn

GranpaJohn

My prediction is same again.
    Storm anywhere will delay flights everywhere. Unfortunately.

9. Casper

Casper

It's a hurricane!

I've been watching some some tropic forums and they have been ahead of the NHC on this one by at least 12 hrs. They called the RI (Rapid Intensification) yesterday. They are saying this thing has all the makings of a strong Cat 3 or weak Cat 4. One or two guys aren't dismissing a possible Cat 5 due to lack of upper level wind shear, very warm sea surface temp and the fact it's slow moving.

I cancelled my flight, cancelled my hotel in NOLA and I am booked in Hattiesburg, MS., since I can't get a room in Biloxi. I'll stage there unless the conference is cancelled. If things are good, I'll drive down in the morning, if not, I'll beat feet.

The last thing I want to do is be in a bowl, with malfunctioning pumps while there's an evacuation, during a record rain event.

10. bocefus78

bocefus78

Stay safe. Take long and short protection. People get crazy in times like that.

Don't forget spare cans of gasoline. Car won't be worth chit if you can't buy fuel for it.

Backwoods Savage, Eric VW and Casper like this.
  11. Casper

Casper

Short:

M&P 9c with two spare 17 Rd mags. Carried on person.

Long (sort of):

10.5" AR (Palmetto State Armory build) with the Sig Pistol brace topped with an Aimpoint Micro red-dot. 5 mags loaded with Hornady TAP 77gr. Since it is a pistol, I can carry it pretty much anyway I want. It will be accessable while I'm seated although handgun would be primary.

Gas:

This in 5 gallon X2:

5-Gal-20L-Jerry-Can-Gasoline-Gas-Fuel-Can-Emergency-Backup-Gas-Caddy-Tank_320x320.jpg

12. bocefus78

bocefus78

A man with a plan! Nice load out.

A small chain saw would help clear any blocked routes if that's not already on your list. This is a wood forum after all :D

13. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Great ideas! Be safe Casper!

Backwoods Savage, Eric VW and Casper like this.
  14. Casper

Casper

I cut some Live Oak in Mississippi after Katrina. That is some heavy, dense wood. I used the Stihl 028 Super AV and it worked fine. I might take my 55 Rancher on this trip. The tank has been empty for a couple weeks so it shouldn't smell of fuel too bad. I'll pick up a quart of pre-mix fuel instead of taking my plastic gallon jug. I am going to rent a car so it will depend on what they give me as to what I take in that regard. I usually end up with an SUV of some sort. They do get pickups on their lot occasionally.

Backwoods Savage and Eric VW like this.
  15. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

:salute:
    :rootintootin: :smoke:
    :D
    :saw:

Sounds like you've got it covered from A to Z :thumbs:
    Niiiiiice, Casper :yes:

16. Casper

Casper

Conference committee just sent out an email saying everything is still a go. Today the New Orleans mayor said everything just fine despite the fact they have 15 pumps out of commission and had flooding a few weeks ago with a much less intense storm.

This thing is supposed to make land fall, hover around Houston (the bayou city) all weekend into Monday, then back out into the Gulf and hug the shore towards LA. That's the part that bothers me. This thing could be dumping enough rain to send residents into a panic evacuation. I have absolutely ZERO desire to be part of that. There are very limited points of egress from NOLA and many have spots that flood easily, especially over near the lower ninth ward and East New Orleans.

I'm trying to only use data from the NHC and those who have a stellar rep on the tropical forums. This storm is being very tricky.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  17. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

[​IMG]

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  18. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

19. Casper

Casper

Uh Oh,. Jim Cantore is setup at the Omni Hotel in Corpus Christi. I stay there every time I'm down there. It's never a good thing to see him show up at your location when a storm is bearing down.

20. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

My daughter is in Texas this week. I'm not sure where she is now, but I know she'll be in San Antonio for a while. It ain't easy when your little girl travels for work. :eek:

It looks like it's gonna hit near Corpus Christi and just sit there with 40" of rain possible!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Backwoods Savage and Midwinter like this.