In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Trail cam photos

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Backwoods Savage, Oct 2, 2016.

1. blacktail

blacktail

I've got this guy on my security camera a few times at home lately. Right in front of my living room window.
    signal-2017-07-06-123926.jpg signal-2017-07-06-123926-1.jpg

Loon, milleo, XXL and 5 others like this.
  2. RCBS

RCBS

Recently set up cameras on two salt licks. One is video, but I'm having technical difficulties transferring media, so I just have some screen shots. No sign yet of the two bucks I'm interested in. They both lived through hunting season last year, but no sign of them yet.
    Screenshot_20170716-152914.png

Screenshot_20170716-153003.png

Screenshot_20170716-153334.png

Screenshot_20170717-092934.png

Screenshot_20170717-093041.png

Screenshot_20170717-093246.png

Lots of critters using the licks. Was a little surprised to see the squirrel and coons on them. Trophy Rocks are what I have been putting on the stumps. May do some more minerals soon to see how well they like them.

Stlshrk, savemoney, Loon and 7 others like this.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

If I want to post something from a video that is all I do is screen shots. Otherwise to post a video you need to upload it to youtube or something similar as there is no way to upload a video to FHC.

I've used trophy rocks and they do well usually until around November 1 then they just quit coming to them. If left out then all the mineral goes into the ground, which is not wasted but I prefer to take the rocks up and keep them in the barn through the winter and put them back out in the spring.

Some nice looking critters you have there.

Chvymn99, RCBS and clemsonfor like this.
  4. RCBS

RCBS

Thanks! They do look nice & healthy. I like to think that has to do with my winter feeding regimen, but who knows? I think I put out around 1200lbs of feed & corn this past winter. Happy to see that one Doe has two fawns this year!

The problem I'm having is getting the videos off the cards to a savable format to upload to youtube. I use my phone and a cheap card reader to pull data from the cards, but cannot save to phone to transfer to computer. I currently have a new female adapter cable coming so I can hook the reader directly to computer. Hoping that will cure my problem.

I agree that the trophy rocks don't last but about a year when left out (depending on rainfall amounts). I've found that by putting them atop a stump, the stump itself becomes the lick when no rock is left. I will get some detailed pics of the larger stump...it's pretty wild what it looks like after years of being a lick. The ground is also dug up around the downhill side of it. I have also dumped maple syrup all over it in the past. Currently looking for an actual mineral supplement to offer them, but unsure as to which variety to purchase.

I only dabble in hunting deer these days, but really enjoy feeding and getting pictures of them. I've had food plots and was at one time putting out about 300lbs a week of feed and corn. I gave up the effort when costs started to get a bit high (and I didn't have time to keep the feeders full, the plots maintained or even hunt for that matter). I have only started to feed again this last year. My feeding efforts are to try and improve the herd, with attraction for hunting being an added benefit. We can legally hunt over bait here, but it just doesn't feel right to me...especially since I'm really just after nice racks anymore. If the 12pt that was around this winter shows back up, I'll be taking to the field this fall to try and harvest him with bow. Past few years, I have only hunted during our shotgun season.

5. blacktail

blacktail

My dad and I checked our camera yesterday and got some interesting pics. Look in the background behind the bear.
    20170717_200608.jpg 20170718_120206.jpg 20170718_120138.jpg

Stlshrk, Loon, 94BULLITT and 4 others like this.
  6. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Those are some cool temps!!! I'd have a fire at my house with those temperatures.

Backwoods Savage and RCBS like this.
  7. Backwoods Savage

That's close to what we had for an overnight low a day ago. Felt great too! Wish we had that every night.

savemoney and RCBS like this.
  8. subsailor

subsailor

Am I seeing things or does that spotted fawn in the sixth pic have spikes?

RCBS likes this.
  9. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I see a stick or vine that curving from its head to the does nose? But no spikes. Too young and wrong time of the year? Buttons maybe but I can't see those from the angle

savemoney and Backwoods Savage like this.
  10. Backwoods Savage

Yup. Definitely in the background. No spikes on this guy.

11. Backwoods Savage

I really liked this picture. It was captured from a video but if you look closely, they were right in step with each other. A 7 and an 8.

In step.jpg

Stlshrk, savemoney, RCBS and 2 others like this.
  12. Loon

Loon

13. RCBS

RCBS

It'd be nice if they started growing them that young! Answers above correct...just some sticks/vines.

Did not have a chance to change out cards this weekend.
    Mixed reviews on Amazon. Price is attractive. Amazon.com : Wildgame Innovations Terra 5 Game Camera, Black : Sports & Outdoors

Loon and Backwoods Savage like this.
  14. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Great looking young deer.

RCBS and Backwoods Savage like this.
  15. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I have had several wild game cameras. They work and are cheap. The last one I had I killed, by leaving it in the woods a year I think. It was not that model but an IR I picked up like 5 years ago. It was cheap and the plastic battery parts were cheap and busted not allowing it to take batteries after like the first change. Took great pics though. I converted it then with some connectors and stuff to use an external 6v battery. It would last all year taking hundreds of pics with just that battery.

I bought a primos this last year. It's smaller. And I put it out to use it but the card was full and I didn't realize that so I got no pics. I still hAve no idea what it looks like??

RCBS, Loon and Backwoods Savage like this.
  16. Backwoods Savage

RCBS and Loon like this.
  17. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Problem I always had was the Steal o cam. They always died .

Wild game makes some useful a ford able stuff.

I like their show too. Good religiosity family

RCBS, Loon and Backwoods Savage like this.
  18. Backwoods Savage

I missed that it is Wild Game camera. They make a lot of different models but I've not seen that one before. I do have a couple of their cameras and they work good the bad part is the cameras I have take 12 AA batteries at once so they are hogs.

Loon likes this.
  19. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

If you are handy with a solder iron, convert them to use those 6v lantern bateries. One can be had for like $5 and may last a camera 2 years or can get the rechargable ones

RCBS, Loon, Chvymn99 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Backwoods Savage

Now that's an idea I may look into.

RCBS, Loon, clemsonfor and 1 other person like this.