In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Took the plunge...boiler upgrade

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Harman Lover 007, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007

Looks like my pig status will be in jeopardy this season and beyond as I just upgraded my dinosaur heating system in "this old house " to a triangle tube stainless steel condensating boiler with FHW baseboard. Still plan to burn but my Harman but it is now relegated to secondary instead of primary.

image1.JPG

2. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Trader!! :p

:D Just kiddin, Looks dandy!! :cool:

3. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007

I know...I know...:(

4. don2222

don2222

Does the fancy and maybe sensitive electronics in that new boiler need a really good surge protector???

IHATEPROPANE likes this.
  5. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007

It may, Don. Not shown in the picture is the final wiring of the unit which has it's own dedicated circuit in my panel. The panel has surge protection but as we all know, they often don't protect sensitive equipment such as our pellet stoves.

slvrblkk and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  6. don2222

don2222

Hello
    The surge protectors in the panel actually work very well. I heard this from a very experienced electition.
    When I upgraded my panel from 100 to 200 amps, I went with them. However I still like the premium Tripp brand surge protectors at the appliance such as the pellet stove not only for the double surge protection that it gives but the second green light monitors the ground connection. If you loose the ground then there is no safe place to channel the surge! So I look to see if that second green light is still on every so often just to be safe!

Pic 1 - new main panel with digital current monitors
    Pic 2 - surge breakers - also see generator slide bar
    Top right breaker is 50 amps for the Generator. :)
    Pic 3 - Tripp Lite surge protector with ground monitor. I have seen the red light in quite a few outlets that had NO ground! Not Safe!
    It also shows red light on Reverse Polarity!
    Pic 4 - red light !!
    Pic 5 - pull out the electric tester and see what is wrong!! Hot & Neutral reversed!!! LOL
    That alone can burn a control panel Triac but very slowly so the problem is not so obvious!!! LoL
    Pic - 6 swapped wires and Electric tester shows fixed
    Pic 7 - surge protector second green light also shows fixed! It works! That is why I only use and like this Tripp Lite surge protector! :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    IHATEPROPANE likes this.