In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Timber Ridge ( Englander ) smart stove

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Rich250, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Rich250

Rich250

Anybody know anything about this stove, My boss just bought one and is telling me that there is no adjustability on the thing. I looked at the on line manual and can't find anything either. That just seems completely ridiculous. Is it that smart that it knows when you switch pellet brands it adjust itself :headbang:

ivanhoe, slvrblkk and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  2. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

IHATEPROPANE just bought one of their smart stoves this spring. One test fired and a few burns so far IIRC.

3. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

I cannot comment on how well it burns since i have only ran it a few times for a total of an hour or two.
    But, the exhaust fan, auger feed and room blower does change on jts own during operation in automatic mode.
    I have never really had to change exhaust speed or make damper adjustments anyways. I personally think these things are a bit overrated and what we think we need to change doesnt really help. Thats just my opinion though.

ivanhoe, gbreda, slvrblkk and 4 others like this.
  4. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Gonna see if mike holton from Englander will join in the conversation. I'm sure he can answer some of the questions on the smart stove?

ivanhoe, slvrblkk, imacman and 2 others like this.
  5. Rich250

Rich250

But, the exhaust fan, auger feed and room blower does change on jts own during operation in automatic mode.

I assume that's the stove changing heat levels as needed to reach set temp.

I guess if you find a pellet that burns well in the stove and stick with that pellet it's not really an issue. I change brands daily sometimes and don't adjust anything but I tweaked my stove for weeks to burn hardwoods if I try to burn softwoods then I have to make changes. That's what would concern me with the smart stove if there is no adjustments.

6. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

Maybe there are more adjustments it makes than we know?

ivanhoe, gbreda, Rich250 and 2 others like this.
  7. imacman

imacman

Not sure what part of the manual you read, but it is clearly stated (P. 19), that you can run in AUTOMATIC mode in well insulated homes where the stove doesn't have to start-stop a lot, or MANUAL mode in less-insulated homes....from the manual:

"Manual Mode

Your stove can be changed to run in manual mode, if desired. In manual mode, after pressing the ON button, the stove will run continuously, based on desired heat range and blower speed settings. The heat range settings will be 1 through 9 (the Up arrow will increase the heat range and the Down arrow will decrease the heat range), with 1 being the lowest auger feed setting and 9 being the highest. The blower speed range will match the heat range that you have set.

Since the stove runs continuously in this mode, it is generally recommended for stoves installed in less‐ insulated areas of the home and extremely cold climate regions.......".
    But it DOES look like the stove makes all the adjustments in Auto. As Jay stated, it would be nice for Mike to chime in here......although it IS a very busy time for them. Calling Tech Support direct will probably give you the best answer.

(800) 245‐6489

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  8. subsailor

subsailor

Well, if you guys had bought a Harman you wouldn't have to worry about all that chit. Put pellets in it set the temp and turn it on. All done. Sit back and have a smoothie and relax.

DexterDay, artc, will711 and 8 others like this.
  9. PelletHound

PelletHound

Well said.:cheers:

will711, slvrblkk, ivanhoe and 3 others like this.
  10. Rich250

Rich250

i do that and don't own a harman

11. Rich250

Rich250

yeah i read all that but we are talking about burn adjustments such as air or pellet feed etc Aint got all day to sit on the phone on hold with tech support, been down that road before

slvrblkk, ivanhoe and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  12. Rich250

Rich250

right that's what i'm trying to find out for him, he bought a ton of green team :makeitrain"and said it seemed to burn ok but the glass got really hazed up in just a short time.

slvrblkk, ivanhoe and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  13. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

I dont have a Harman and thats all i do too...

slvrblkk, ivanhoe, jtakeman and 2 others like this.
  14. gbreda

gbreda

After "I tweaked my stove for weeks to burn hardwoods if I try to burn softwoods then I have to make changes."

Now back to regularly scheduled program on the brains of this stove and how it works :)

subsailor, slvrblkk, ivanhoe and 3 others like this.
  15. Rich250

Rich250

yep dialed in for hardwoods and thats all i burn because im cheap so no more touching the stove other then cleaning and filling.I don't have to buy those expensive softwoods so many Harman owners seem to burn.:D

16. gbreda

gbreda

Looking into this stove, it would be great for someone to chime in on it. What is the actual model? IHP shows it being a 55-TRPCB but I dont see that model on the website? If you look at the manual find the wiring diagram of the correct stove, it might help figure this out.

17. Rich250

Rich250

slvrblkk, gbreda, ivanhoe and 2 others like this.
  18. gbreda

gbreda

Maybe not, but looking at this tells me something. There is a stove temp connector which in my mind (and if I am correct on the Harman operation) correlates to how the Harman works where it uses the ESP in the exhaust to tell the logic board the temperature of the stove and make adjustments from that. This tells me that there is a sensor somewhere (exhaust maybe?) to tell the unit how the stove is running. The exhaust blower speed can be adjusted to alter air flow. There is also a room temp connector which also should be for a room temp sensor like Harman to make the adjustments on Auto mode.

Now Harman does have a feed adjustment but maybe Englander uses the stove temp sensor for this? Harman's feed adjust adjusts the speed of the cycle but the frequency of the cycles are adjusted by the logic board.

All conjecture and I may be wrong on all of this but this MAY be based on similar principles as Harman.

upload_2017-10-20_6-51-23.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  19. gbreda

gbreda

But I dont have to clean as often with softies and if I want to burn cheaper fuel, I just dump it in the hopper......and clean the store more

At this period of life, time is money or breaks are in short supply (especially in a winter with a lot of snow which means all I do is work and clear the driveway) so balancing the extra few dollars of softies makes more sense.

Not knocking other stove types or other stove owners at all. If it wasnt for the 30% tax rebate I got, I likely would not have spent the $$ on Harman but I am glad I did and now would probably do it again after experiencing the reliability of the stove.

will711, slvrblkk, Rich250 and 4 others like this.
  20. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

There is a sensor in the exhaust. What the brains do with this information i have no idea, but i would imagine it does similar things to the Harman.

will711, slvrblkk, Rich250 and 3 others like this.