In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The ultimate workshop/garage setup

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by VOLKEVIN, Jul 14, 2017.

1. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Just mill a couple logs so that they have a flat area top and bottom, the lay 'em track width apart and...I think you see where Ima goin wit dis...

2. chainsawsoldier

chainsawsoldier

Was watching Successful Farming the other day and saw a pit that was awesome: Farm Shop Hydraulic Service Pit Floor
    A scissor lift in the pit so u can have a pit, have normal floor level, or a loading dock for the pickup.

TurboDiesel, don2222 and brenndatomu like this.
  3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Sweet, very creative!

4. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

I currently have a 36" lathe, vertical knee mill, Miller 210 dual tank mig welder, 4×6" cut off band saw, an 8 x 32" welding bench with a 1/4" top and 16" back stop, 10 inch pedistal grinder, tons of tooling for the machines, a 50,000 btu gas heater, two 8 ft commercial sign flouescent lights, AND SO MUCH OTHER JUNK IN THERE YOU CAN BARELY USE ANY OF IT !!! Lol.

5. don2222

don2222

Hi Blacksmith
    I am in the market for a welder and would like your opinion. Should I just get a welding cart? How useful is a welding table? Do you have a pic of yours? What do you use your welding table for? Do you have a welding cart?
    Thanks

6. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

My welder is kind of its own cart. Its a commercial size Miller 210. Holds 2 tanks behind the actual welder. I built a basket cage thing on top of it to hold all my other welding junk...apron, gloves, etc. Yes, I would recommend a cart. It makes life lot easier.

The nice thing about a welding bench is that you can clamp the ground on the end of the bench and then everything is a ground. You can tack things right to the bench when doing setups, and then just grind the bench flat again when youre done. Ill get a picture of it for you tomorrow. Its covered in junk right now and theres 3 bicycles leaning on it.

don2222 and brenndatomu like this.
  7. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

Heres some pic Don

Welding bench...still covered in junk.

[​IMG]

Welder and knee mill

[​IMG]

Lathe

[​IMG]

Yes, the place is the definition of hoarding clutter. I have to move stuff around every time I want to do something. I wish I had a 40x60 shop but Im stuck in a 2 car garage for the foreseeable future.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    BCB, milleo, papadave and 1 other person like this.
  8. yooperdave

yooperdave

Trouble with a larger place would only be magnified!

Lots of good stuff there!

9. chris

chris

my shop is 2000 sq ft. 3 vertical mills, 1 horz., 2 surface grinders, about a dozen tool and cutter grinders of various descriptions, 14x40 lathe, drill grinder (.5-3.5") + a couple small drill grinders, 2 bandsaws(vertical and a horz.) Dial Arc 250- AC/DC welder ( mig, tig + stick with tanks, old Lincoln torpedo welder, shopping cart with a lunch box welder in it. plasma cutter, 2 sets of welding tanks, 3 air compressors ( 7.5 cf - 55cf) +2'x4' bast cabinet, cabinet saw , wood shaper, jointer, dust collectors,50 ft/20fth of pallet racks full of stuff, chainsaw grinding bench ( 3 grinders and chain making /mending items on that, 2 belt sanders 3 large tool boxes , 35 hp tractor, log splitter, forklift, pallet jack, 20hp Chipper and various benches with some power tools mounted on those, wall cabinets with tooling in those. it really is time to start tossing out some of the sardines from this can. So the upshot if ya got more ya just tend to fill it more. When I move stuff around a bit I can get the 1ton with v plow and salter in here as well.
    HRV/ERV... Why not a pipe?

blacksmithden likes this.
  10. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

Haha I'm in the same boat.
    Welders generators woodworking garbage mower:hair:
    I move the garage into different production modes.
    The only weird thing I have taking up space is a over winter tank for my koi fish.
    And my old squirrel cage taking up one wall:rofl: :lol:

blacksmithden likes this.