In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The Official do not use oil thread

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by SquareFile, May 4, 2016.

1. RCBS

RCBS

I have been doing it wrong I guess. I tear off the foil, set it in the mouth of the can upside down for about 30 seconds, then put the gas to it (at a station). I'd probably make a mess if I tried to rinse it there. I suppose I could finish up and then pour some of the mixed fuel back into the little bottle when I get home, but then I don't get to dispose of the bottle on the station's dime! :emptywallet:

I did just discover that I can buy the VP canned 40:1 for $6 a quart at the NAPA down the street from work...

HDRock likes this.
  2. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Well $24/ gallon hardly sounds like a deal to me for fuel. But seriously it's not hard to rinse even the small bottles. Yes pour out of your can if you think you will make a mess with pump. But you can hold the hose up after you cut off and let gravity fill the tiny bottle with residue in line. I mix out of bulk oil bottles so I am always rinseING my mix container...not a small mouth bottle.

mdavlee and RCBS like this.
  3. mdavlee

mdavlee

I put oil in the can first. I usually mix at home any way.

HDRock likes this.
  4. RCBS

RCBS

Yeah I figured that. I buy the 6 packs of 1 gallon bottles. I wasted about 2 gallons of mix a couple years ago due to my not using it before it got sour, so nowadays I just go one gallon at a time so it's always pretty fresh.

The canned fuel most certainly is not cheap. My saws do seem to really like it though.... specially the AT model.

HDRock and clemsonfor like this.
  5. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

My AT husky runs like chit on canned fuel. All its ever had. And really only a few tanks through it. But it barely started today and always like to cut off. It runs well when cutting though.

Stihl and husky have fuel stabilizer in their oils. I have had stuff that still smelled fresh and ran fine after a year mixed with husky XP oil. I dump old 2 stroke in the mower or my old chevy k10 so other than the little bit of oil wasted it's not ever wasted fuel.

RCBS likes this.
  6. RCBS

RCBS

Perhaps it's needs reset? Mine showed some of the bog symtoms when brand new, but gets better every time I run it.

I only trust pump gas for about 6 months. Even if it is still "good" it has lost its octane rating, which is only guaranteed for 30 days I believe. It wasn't a big deal loosing the 2gals, just taught me to use as I go...with the corn in the fuel now, that's a good thing IMO.

I did find another use for it, but am not at liberty to discuss openly. :whistle:

7. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I buy non E fuel.

I hate to reset it again. I think it's something like a whole tank run WOT!!! I did that first tank through. Might just need to be run. It's always a hard start saw

8. RCBS

RCBS

I meant to say reset the software to the newest version. I think some have had luck with that. I can hot start with one pull, no purge or high idle. I do start it by the book if it cools off.

To do a soft reset on the saw noodle a good sized log maybe 4-5 cuts one after another without letting off. I think 60 seconds is enough. The AT had me scared when I first started running it. It always sounds like it's got issues for the first 5-6 seconds till it gets a whiff of the air.

clemsonfor likes this.
  9. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

No hot start issue that I recall. Just initial

10. RCBS

RCBS

Choke on, at least 6 purge pumps...sometimes more, usually barks on 3rd or 4th pull and starts after dropping kill lever to high idle position. I actually wrestle more I think with my 2166 on cold starts.

11. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

The initial pop is not the hard part. Once I drop to high idle it never wants to catch. Almost like the high idle feature does not engage and choke open

12. 3browns

3browns

I have to ask; what do you consider a "CLEAN" can, and how do you clean it?

I always empty a can fully before starting a new mix and I always shake the hell out of the can from first fill to last, so theoretically there shouldnt be any lingering oil that wasnt in suspension

My regimen is quite similar (4 oz Saber and 1 oz Seafoam in a gallon of 90 non-ethanol)

13. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Both of my m-tronic saws start the same. Squeeze trigger, push lever all the way down and release the trigger. Pull 'till it's running. They will pop and you have to resist the urge to touch that lever again. But the next pull is running. Always.

cus_deluxe likes this.
  14. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

This is a husky. Wish it were a stihl.

This is a 555

15. MasterMech

I know. :whistle: :rofl: :lol:

Have you tried giving it one more tug while choked?

16. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yea. No difference.

In all reality the problem is probably I haven't run it enough and when it does its to cut a tree out of the road or a log for something.

I need to take it with me and use it to cut wood one day just to run some fuel through it.

mdavlee and RCBS like this.
  17. CoreyB

CoreyB

My dolmar starts first pull as long as I flip the choke off before it dies. If I miss it then one more pull and she is running.

porsche965 and MasterMech like this.
  18. MasterMech

Long cuts at WOT. A couple tanks worth of that and she should straighten out just fine!

clemsonfor and Andyshine77 like this.
  19. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Yep... Cut some cookies Clem ;) :rofl: :lol:

As much as you may want to resist, it's a good way to cut a little wood and run a lot of fuel through a saw! :yes:

mdavlee likes this.
  20. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I just need to find a big junk but out of a slash pile so I can get some good long cut out of it and run some fuel through it..

:dancer:

mdavlee likes this.