In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

t-stat install gets interesting

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Dr.Faustus, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Dr.Faustus

Dr.Faustus

So I got this honeywell wifi thermostat for my birthday to use with my new 25-pah. Apparently it needs a 24v transformer to power itself. I ordered it and it came in today. Stat powered up nicely. Now im realizing that the stove needs a millivolt type stat and this honeywell is a 24 volt.

So another piece is needed! I found info on another forum that the stat can still work with the millvolt stove by using a relay, part #RIB Relay #RIBU1C and what this basically does is when the stat calls for heat, the stat sends 24v to the relay, and that closes the contacts on the relay thus turning on the stove.

Has anyone done anything like this, if so how does it work? I ordered the relay only $13.00. I know there are wifi stats that wont need this but im not giving up on the honeywell. I have a ton of them at work and i really like them.

Thanks!

ivanhoe, IHATEPROPANE and slvrblkk like this.
  2. don2222

don2222

Hello
    I worked on a 25-PAH and put a Lowes Lux 1500u wired T-Stat on it. It worked fine because it was made for millivolt system and had a swing setting.
    I prefer the Lowes Iris WiFi T-Stat for Pellet Stoves because it is made for millivolt systems that most pellet stoves need and it can be set for a swing setting of 2 degrees to prevent short cycling.
    The relay on your T-Stat should work if the T-Stat has a good anti short cycle setting. This setting is very much needed on a pellet stove since it takes 10-15 min to start up or shut down!
    Although Whitfield pellet stoves work fine with a 24 volt T-Stat.
    Just my experience.

3. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

Which Iris? The one I have seen are not millivolt.

4. don2222

don2222

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  5. Dr.Faustus

Dr.Faustus

therm.png Worked like a charm. :)

Attached Files: