In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stove pipe help!

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Mwalsh9152, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I'm hoping someone might be able to offer some suggestions to this problem. My new Absolute Steel ended up being higher than I anticipated. I need to come out of the top, go into a 90, then go straight through the thimble. I am about an inch-inch and a quarter too high with the elbow as low as I can get it into the flange.

Does anyone have a suggestion for possibly a shorter elbow, or maybe something else I haven't though of yet?

This is what I'm up against.

20171013_183638.jpg

papadave and wildwest like this.
  2. Unhdsm

Unhdsm

Oh boy. You might have to use the rear flue exit if you have room to pull the stove out on the hearth.
    Also- does the pipe not fit around the outside of the flue exit like the IS? That looks odd to me.

papadave and wildwest like this.
  3. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

no, you insert the pipe into the flange. I just saw that they make offset pipes. That might work if I can find one with a shallow offset. Most that I am seeing are in the UK though.

Using the rear exit isnt really an option, it would push the stove out way too far into the room, and its already a pretty narrow area.

papadave likes this.
  4. papadave

papadave

Shorter legs an option?
    Might just be the camera, but that through the thimble pipe looks to have a slight upward slope toward the stove.......not gooder.

5. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

it is likely just the way the picture is, and it might be slightly bent up from me fighting with it, or possibly a little wiggle room. The only way for shorter legs would be to cut them down, but as it is there is only 2.5" clearance under the ash pan.

Does the thimble pipe need to extend all the way to the chimney? Im assuming that it does.A quick google search confirmed this.

Anything I do is going to be a temp fix. Im going to be tearing out the huge brick wall in a year or so and downsizing to a 6' stone veneer. My plan is to move the thimble up 6-8" at that point. Its a huge PITA like this.

papadave likes this.
  6. fishingpol

fishingpol

Rockford chimney supply does custom fabrication. Maybe they can make a low angle 90.

My other thought is grind out the back of the flange an inch or so and drop the 90 down more into the flange.

Safety first when modifying.:dremel::yes:

7. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I was so focused on trying to find a solution in the pipe its self that I didnt even consider cutting the flange its self! Man, I must really be losing my touch. That will definitely solve the problem!

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

9. BDF

BDF

That is probably the best, simplest and best idea to solve that problem. As long as there is enough flange left to properly hold onto the remaining male portion of the elbow.

The only other option I can think of would be a custom fabrication as someone else mentioned. I think I would look into having a 'T' made rather than an elbow though, that way you can easily pull the cap from the front side and inspect and clean the pipe and thimble anytime you want to do so.

Brian

10. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

for now, I came out of the elbow, and right into another adjustable elbow which I configured to step the pipe down the 1.25" to get it into the wall. Ugly? You bet! Will it work? Who knows, its in the mid 70's this weekend, so once it cools down next week, I will see.

However, I have an appointment Tuesday in VT. I may swing into Woodstock and pick their brains and see what they think before I cut the flange. I figure if I can show them exactly what Im talking about, it would be easier.

papadave likes this.
  11. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

And we have a winner!

I stopped into Woodstock today and picked their brains. They suggested cutting the flange, and even offered to help with either the water jet or plasma cutter. However, I had them grab a 90 degree fixed elbow and a tape measure, since this was the first place I've been that had the same type of fixed elbow as linked above. The elbow it's self is in fact over an inch taller than the adjustable piece, but the seam is way higher, so I can cut the pipe down a bit and get it down to the height I need without cutting the flange.