In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stihl saw with a Windsor bar

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Unicorn1, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Unicorn1

Unicorn1

I tried out this new windsor bar on my 046 saw, it seems that either the chain tightening bolt doesn't turn enough/clearance of bolt in bar or the chain is too long? The problem I'm having is the chain sags big time after a few minutes of use.

When I put on a new chain I couldn't get the chain to tighten to where I normally do?

2. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

If the new bar isn't as wide as the old one, the circumference could be smaller than an equal length bar. Count the number of drive links and go to a place that makes their own chain and special order one with one or two less links. You can also have them break the current chain and remove a link but that just seems to be a waste. One less link should be good enough but you may have to experiment. Got any pics of the chain when it is full tight on the saw? You don't want to operate routinely at the limit of the adjustment screw. Just my humble opinion.

walt likes this.
  3. Unicorn1

Unicorn1

I'll get some pics this weekend, thank you!

stuckinthemuck likes this.
  4. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Couple of other things. When you pull the chain cover, you can see where the adjuster is in the channel at that instant. With a new chain, you want that adjuster closer to the handle. But not bottomed out as that would mean the chain is too short. As the chain wears and stretches a bit the adjuster will move away from the handle to give the same tension (or chain droop). Ideally you don't hit something like a piece of metal that stretches it too much and effective ruins the chain.. In looking at your adjuster, a chain that is shorter by one drive link will move your adjuster closer to the handle by the length of HALF a drive link. So you can eyeball where the adjuster would theoretically be before pulling the trigger on a new shorter chain. If half the length of a drive link will bottom you out toward the handle, you may have another issue that has yet to be revealed. Once pics are up, it'll help.

Ralphie Boy likes this.
  5. Oldman47

Oldman47

Check the drive link count indicated on the bar against the actual number of drive links that you have on your chain.

HDRock, Ralphie Boy, CR888 and 2 others like this.
  6. HDRock

HDRock

I had the exact same problem once , , in my case , I found , I had a 56 DL chain on a 54 DL bar

7. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I was going to say the exact same thing

HDRock likes this.