Once You Go Lumberjack

★★★★☆ Stihl MS 251

Discussion in 'Chain Saws' started by Cold Trigger Finger, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

. Not sure I'll get the layout of this just right but here goes.

So far I've bought 2 of these. The first was 2 years ago . Second was last year. Traded the first one on a tandem axle trailer. Got it with a 16" bar. Put a floating rim drum and sprocket on both. Did some arborist work with the first one . Climbing and topping. And cut around 40 cord with the first one. Mostly running .325 Rapid Super Stihl chain. Round filed. For the price, around $325.00 I was very happy with the saw.
    No its not a 261. But, it doesn't cost what a 261 does. Also it is quite a bit lighter than the 261. As I wanted to have a good climbing saw along with a general purpose small saw . It is great. The floating rim and drum is a mandatory upgrade imo.
    Saw #2 has been just as good as #1 was. Sometimes both of them pop and fart around when they are cold. I've run and worked with both at 30 below F. With the bottom half of the starter cover taped off. .
    Saw #2 came with an 18" bar. Which is ok . But I prefer the 16" on this size saw as it only has 1 bar stud.
    My next upgrade will be to go to 3/8" so I can run full skip chisel ground chisel bit.
    I'm Very impressed with how clean the air filter stays. Very impressed. So far I have not had any problems with either .
    I reccomend them to anyone.

2. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Oh; the reason for the 4 star rating. I reserve 5 stars for a saw that has never been to market yet . And is an unrealistic standard.
    A saw that will pull 34" of wood with 40k joint on SHARP chisel ground full comp 404 chain. WEIGHS less than 12 lbs. Runs for an hour on a tank of fuel and oil . Has full wrap handle bars and Great falling dogs. And will last for At least 1,000 gallons of saw gas.
    So you can see why 5 stars is unrealistic .
    4 stars is Way good !!!!!

SKEETER McCLUSKEY likes this.