In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Splitter mods

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by tg.weaver, Aug 14, 2017.

1. tg.weaver

tg.weaver

I have a huskee 37 ton splitter with a bigger engine and eletric start. Looking to make it more better. Was thinking about switching the foot plate to the top and the splitter side to the bottom. Then turn splitter side into like a 6 way wedge. Thoughts? Here's what it looks like now.

I would like to increase my productivity. The splitter can split a face cord and hour I figure I can get it to a face cord a half hour that would be amazing.

Has any one done this?

Wanna do an out feed table as well.

Was wondering if there would be adiquite pressure to split the wood like this?

Thanks for your input![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

2. Leadfarmer

Leadfarmer

Here's my 35 ton that I modified some.i didn't flip the wedge but the table helps alot. Also moved engine out on a new drawbar, I have a adjustable leg under the beam not shown on pics. It was still to slow for me so I bought a kinetic splitter. Much mo better ! A cord an a half, 22 minutes [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mag Craft, HDRock, Moparmyway and 4 others like this.
  3. tg.weaver

tg.weaver

Wow that is super fast which one did u buy? What kind of wood do you split. A lot of my wood in my woods are tops from when we had it logged and a lot of black walnut. It's kinda gnarly and I have a lot of "elbows" for lack of a better word. Would it split big stuff like That? How big are your pieces?

Horkn likes this.
  4. Leadfarmer

Leadfarmer

I bought it off evilbay an I forget the name, black diamond mabe. I haven't found anything it won't split yet. Mostly locust so far about 20 cords. Oak is a joke maple, ash an I'm sure others just can't member. Crotches you might have to hit twice. Here's a few pics[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

HDRock, Horkn, Eric VW and 1 other person like this.
  5. tg.weaver

tg.weaver

Locusts is serious stuff. I might have to re think the not buying one. Have you had any problems or things that have broken or worn out

Eric VW likes this.
  6. Leadfarmer

Leadfarmer

Haven't done anything but put gas in it so far. Kinetic splitters hands down the best thing I bought in a lot of years. All those hours waiting on hydraulics would add up to days I'm sure. Burnt wood for 25 yrs not counting all the folks you help in a lifetime

Eric VW and Horkn like this.
  7. shaggy wood dump hoarder

shaggy wood dump hoarder

Bigger pump, and a different ram with less volume to fill the ram, will get you faster strokes, best way to do it.

Eric VW and Horkn like this.
  8. Horkn

Horkn

We put a bigger, better chonda on the old Didier splitter. I killed the ~40 yr old tired 5 hp Briggs on a 27"dbh elm.

The bigger chonda starts so easy. It started on one half fast pull after filling the sump with oil, and putting gas in it.

It's definitely faster and more powerful now, with only a motor upgrade.
    IMG_20170318_141415380_HDR.jpg

HDRock, Leadfarmer and Eric VW like this.
  9. tg.weaver

tg.weaver

So I had a local guy give me a price on welding up a six way wedge, moving the splitter to the bottom and the splitter side into a push ram. 650.00 bucks. I laughed and said thanks. For that price I'll learn how to weld and do it myself

HDRock likes this.
  10. HDRock

HDRock

I understand (For that price I'll learn how to weld and do it myself) but that's a lot of work , and people can't work for free .:)

11. Sconnie Burner

Sconnie Burner

As a skilled tradesman myself I have to defend his price. You gotta remember they know what they are doing (hopefully)! When messing with stress points and hydraulics with tons of force you want to have confidence nothing is going to break loose or fail from fatigue. Maybe a little high on the price but if he is busy and doesn't want to really mess with the labor involved he will make it worth his time.
    Also have to remember its a skill that not many have anymore and fabin' up things involves time and some wasted materials as they are playing with different ideas on how to go about it. I wouldn't be suprised if he would end up putting 25-30+ hours into a project like that. Not to mention thinking about it for countless hours while laying in bed at night. Sorry for the ramble but when messing with something like that you have to take saftey into account.

HDRock and MikeyB like this.
  12. tg.weaver

tg.weaver

Sure but he told me it Would take 5 maybe 6 hours and he would do it in between jobs while waiting for materials to be delivered. He said it would be a week to 10 days. I can take it to boces drop it off and have it done for just material while the teacher uses it to train people in welding. That will take about 6 weeks but if I wait till I'm done splitting and send it it would be worth my time. I think 600 is too much considering I paid 800 for the splitter.

HDRock likes this.