In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Small venison roast, how long on a charcoal grill?

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by saskwoodburner, Jan 29, 2017.

1. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

Hey guys, quick question about a venison roast cook time. It's dinky, about 1 lb or so (I cut smaller portions so I don't eat too much). I'm going to be coming off the tail end of a pork ribs cook, so I just want to get the coals kicked up again, and put it in.

How long would you guess at a lower heat? Can I leave it for a couple hours on low heat? I rarely cook beef or venison on the charcoal, and never a roast, so not sure. Until it's done I suppose! I just want to set it n forget, go eat my ribs and relax. I'm going to leave it in a foil tent opened just a bit to get moar flavor.

Thoughts?

NortheastAl likes this.
  2. JIMBETHYNAME

JIMBETHYNAME

I think you can take it off now, should be done.

3. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

Depending on shape/size, I'd cook it for half an hour. Maybe less. Off the coals, then sear it for colour. Venison will dry out if cooked for too long.

4. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

If the roast is at room temperature then I'd roast it hot and quick to get the outside carmelized then take it off the grill. Venison has no internal fat in the meat and it needs to be rare inside, medium st the most. I have heard of using a needle and threading beef or pork fat through a roast.

5. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

It was on over an hour, and I think the heat went too high...no matter, I'll cut it up today and check it out. Worst case scenario it gets chunked and turned into scooby snacks for the dogs.

NortheastAl likes this.
  6. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

Well, turned out not bad even though it spent too much time in the grill. Still the lightest hint of pink through out most of the meat, but a little too firm. The chili and pepper have a nice flavor kick, but it's a bit lacking in salt.

NortheastAl likes this.