In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Seriously considering getting a new motorcycle

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Horkn, Jun 2, 2016.

1. RCBS

RCBS

Did you have to pull everything yourself?? I would think that all you had to do was drop her off at the dealership. Good way to really get aquainted with your bike though for sure! I had a crush on the Yellow TLs with fairings back in the day. Guy down the road had one and loved watching and hearing it go by.

Horkn and bogieb like this.
  2. ironpony

ironpony

first superbike Triumph Thunderbird, this bike has raced all over the east coast. Dad raced it at Laconia, Langhorne, 120 mph on the straights Jack Pine 1951 fourth place solo, time trials all over the place 1950-1953. One bike did it ALL. Had four different gear sets for the trans. This bike has more woods miles on it than most bikes today have highway miles. My Dad also rode it 365 days year, he did not own a car until my oldest brother was 5. Raced flat rtack till he was 74 years old back in 2001, he is now 90

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  3. RCBS

RCBS

A real beauty with an awesome pedigree!

bobdog2o02 and Horkn like this.
  4. Horkn

Horkn

Yes the yellow and black TLR's were sweet looking bikes. We never got the red and black tillers here in North America, but you can easily make one now.

Suzuki kinda was douchey about the frame recall. Had I bought it new, then Suzuki would've done it all for free. Drop it off, pick it up with the new frame 100% hands off. Zero dollars too. I bought it used 4 years old, so Suzuki wouldn't even touch it. Suzuki struck a deal with the NHTSA that I'm shocked that the government allowed it to be honest.

Luckily, a semi local suzuki dealer worked out the deal I got. A fellow TL rider salesman there hooked me up. They got me the new 2005 frame for free provided I pay for new swingarm and head bearings and seals and install. I could've dropped the whole bike off, and paid labor to R and R the frame but that would've been a lot of $. My bill was $140. The frame alone was $3200. So, I was very happy with the deal.

I had it back together in time for my first track day at Road America, less than a week later. I know this bike very well.

It's home with me now, new metzeler M7RR tires on it. It feels good. I'll take it to work tomorrow.

RCBS likes this.
  5. RCBS

RCBS

That is kind of crazy. One would think that the frame replacement would need to be done "professionally" to ensure safety and warranty it. Many folks would not have the tools or know how to strip to frame then get it back together correctly.

I imagine that you will never get rid of it after that ordeal.

Horkn likes this.
  6. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Anybody ask you where you got the jake brake for it yet? :rofl: :lol::salute: Been there.... :dex:

Horkn likes this.
  7. Horkn

Horkn

The frame was brought in like above, a rolling chassis, and was sent home with me assembled the same. So the forks, triple trees, and swingarm were put on by the dealer. $140 was for parts and install of the bearings and seals on the new frame.

See, the old frame has to be destroyed as part of the recall. If they just have me a new frame, they couldn't be certain to receive the old recalled frame back.

But yeah, me and my TLS are pretty well bonded. Though I don't think she'll mind if I bring another younger half naked model home, even if it's an Italian one. She knows what we have goes way beyond that. :D

RCBS and MasterMech like this.
  8. Horkn

Horkn

Actually I've never been asked that. Amazingly.

I've always gotten the looks though. Even with newer bikes around mine, it gets the looks and all the attention of people passing by.

RCBS and MasterMech like this.
  9. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Wait till you're on an "exotic" Italian... you ain't seen nothin' yet.

Bert, Horkn, RCBS and 1 other person like this.
  10. ironpony

ironpony

first wife was an exotic Italian, be careful

11. Horkn

Horkn

My wife was raised Sicilian. I get it.

Bert likes this.
  12. Horkn

Horkn

Ok, I'm closer to not being certain which bike I want.

Note I have considered to be BMW S1000r, not the RR

bmw-s1000r-review-road-test-10.jpg

Bert and bogieb like this.
  13. Bert

Bert

Cool, I want one.:) Great bike for sure! Good choice Horkn! The licence plate mount would be the first thing to go. Maybe add a short windshield.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    Horkn likes this.
  14. Horkn

Horkn

Yeah, that's a furrin' picture with a giant wind break for a plate. A small screen makes the bike look better, imho.

S1Kr531b_zps82e802f6.jpg 5.08.15.1_zpsrsaja6ss.jpg

Without a demo ride yet, about the only issue I can see with the BMW is that it's a little too sterile. I mean that it kinda has no edge to it. Sure it can wheelie, I mean it's got 160 hp and 83 tq, and it's got more street usable version of the 190 hp motor in the s1000rr, as it has a lot more tq all across the board that the Superbike it's based off of. Just comparing it the time he Aprilia tuono, the tuono has the mother of all engine sounds, and it's just a badass bike. The negative of the Aprilia is the dealer support. I mean both BMW and Aprilia have dealers here in the Milwaukee area, but overall there's more BMW dealers. Both of these bikes have been around for 2-3 years.

Then there's the new bike on the block, the Yamaha FZ10. While Yamaha is new, a 2017 model that's not even been released on the states, but it's from a huge company with tons of dealers, and the motor is really just a retuned R1 motor. So I'm not worried about first year machine issues.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    Bert likes this.
  15. Horkn

Horkn

The Yamaha and the beemer.
    740_YamBMWweb114.jpg
    I wouldn't get the Yamaha with dayglo wheels though. The BMW, idk, I like the red and the white one equally.

Bert likes this.
  16. Horkn

Horkn

Of course there's a black leftover 2015 s1000r at the local dealer for a big discount. So, the least favorite color of the BMWs to me, and this one isn't the sport model, so no dynamic suspension adjustments on the fly via electronics.

But, it's brand new, and several thousands of dollars less than a current model year.

Hmmm

Bert and DaveGunter like this.
  17. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

BMWs are supposed to be black dontchaknow ;)

Bert and Horkn like this.
  18. Horkn

Horkn

It's not that I dislike black bikes, it's just that the red or white versions look better in this model. The black hides the intricacies that make it look so awesome. The white really shows off those features, and the red does too.
    In black... Screenshot_2016-07-20-20-38-19.png
    Now black cars? Our 4runner is black, and it more than likely will be the last black car well ever buy, well new at least.

A bike is small enough to keep clean.

bogieb, DaveGunter and Bert like this.
  19. bogieb

bogieb

See, and I like the black better as it doesn't confuse my eyes with too much detail. I am easily confused as you can tell

Horkn and DaveGunter like this.
  20. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

I was thinking the same thing, the black looks more conservative or understated, plus you can't really see the bike when your ridin it, and if you get one of them you'll be ridin it all the time.;)

Horkn and bogieb like this.