In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Seriously considering getting a new motorcycle

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Horkn, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Horkn

Horkn

Here's the race Aprilia rsv4 from today. Droollllllll

IMG_20160603_130910794.jpg

RCBS and bassJAM like this.
  2. RCBS

RCBS

2-6.jpg

1050 Daytona without carpal tunnel syndrome inducing clip ons. 423lbs, 138hp, 83ftlbs, Ohlins, comfy ergos and...it's a Triumph Triple. Yeah the look is...different. Nope...no fairing either. Initially, I was concerned about the lack of fairing at 100+ mph. Felt like the wind was trying to rip me off my bike, but very shortly thereafter I didn't even notice. I don't spend much time at or above the ton mark. Unsafe and irresponsible when street riding anyways.

Well, that's me sales pitch for the Trumpet. Take a test ride...I dare you. :D

Horkn likes this.
  3. bogieb

bogieb

Yeah, if you don't look back at your bike every time you park it, then you bought the wrong bike :smoke:

MasterMech, Horkn, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.
  4. Horkn

Horkn

I agree, my TLS still does that for me.

But, I can afford a new bike , and I should get one.

I see triumph discontinued the sprint st, and replaced it with the sprint GT. When they did that, they got rid of the underseat exhaust and changed the character to less sport than the st. Then I think they dropped that too.

I like the speed trip. I actually nearly bought a second gen speed trip.

There's a used white newer one with the ohlins at the kawi/ Honda dealer in town. I might have to demo it out.

My mind's wide open, I won't rush this decision.

RCBS and bogieb like this.
  5. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

The used triple will blow you mind, worst mpg of any sport bike I know of though.

RCBS, bogieb and Horkn like this.
  6. Horkn

Horkn

Like how bad? I read a review of the 2007 sprint st and a review of the sprint GT and that same motor in a different tune gets mid 40 mpg. The speed trip has a few more HP, but not radically so.

7. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

A friend of mine had one, power commander 3 tuned for max performance. Surprising how much more fuel it liked, I think he was getting like 22.

Horkn likes this.
  8. RCBS

RCBS

I'm guessing the bike was full-go? Polished intakes, headers, secondary air injection deleted, etc. Still seems something wasn't right. 22mpgs would be tremendously rich fueling. My 675 shows 29mpg at WOT under a load. TuneECU is the proper way to tune a Triumph...one issue though...not sure if it works on the newest generation of bikes. I know it will work up to 2012. You can adjust the fueling exactly how you want it. There are also a good bit of "ready to go" maps available. Sorry for this guy's broken english, but he does a good job giving an overview of TuneECU.

And you are right Bob, the Triumph 3 cylinders are a joy to ride. I been reading that the Yammy FZ09 is no slouch either, but needs chassis and fueling refinement. Tried to talk a buddy into one last year but he bailed on the motorcycle idea I think because the Harley he wanted was $20K. FZ09 runs ~8K new. Told him he'd have way more fun unless poker runs and social status were what he considered fun. (apologies to any Harley riders, I only know of what I see here around me) To some folks, a Harley says "I've made it". Not why I ride...I ride purely for my own amusement. I did ride with a Harley Dresser once and was astonished at how briskly he threw that big beast around! I saw sparks coming from under him on a few corners and there wasn't much waiting up on him...much respect!

Horkn and bobdog2o02 like this.
  9. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

I was wrong, talked my buddy. 27 was the number. Still pizz poor for a bike, it was a piped speed triple.

Horkn likes this.
  10. Horkn

Horkn

I rode a fully tuned 2nd gen speed trip 955 with the best full exhaust available for that bike. It was fun, but to be honest it didn't have the grunt of my 97 TLS with full yosh exhaust and the original non neutered recalled ECU.

Both sounded great, both totally different though, triple to twin.
    To me the difference was the wind protection of the TLS with a half fairing, to a fly screen equipped speed trip.

Well that and the TL had under 6k on it and the triumph was over 20,000 miles. ;)

If I wait until early I'll get a better deal, and there may be more models to arrive by then. There will be a new gsxr 1000 and new Honda literbike, hopefully a V four RC.

RCBS likes this.
  11. bogieb

bogieb

wow, my 900#, 103 ci motor bike gets over 40 mpg - it would seriously suck to get 27 as a number. However, I'm more about comfort and distance, not speed and performance, so I don't know what is considered decent mileage for those types of bikes.

Horkn and RCBS like this.
  12. Gasifier

Gasifier

:popcorn:

And I don't even ride!

Chvymn99, Horkn, RCBS and 1 other person like this.
  13. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

That's a you problem, not a me problem...

Chvymn99, Horkn, Gasifier and 2 others like this.
  14. RCBS

RCBS

My bike is just shy of 700cc's and weighs a hair over 400lbs wet. In mixed spirited riding I average around 38mpgs. That's with me honkin on it a bit mind you...I think 45mpg could easily be achieved if I didn't like to hear that lovely intake howl so much!

I didn't buy for MPG though....bought for SPM (smiles per mile) and it delivers on that for sure!

15. Horkn

Horkn

Yeah, my TL1000s gets average 35 mpg. If I want to, I can get about 45 mpg freeway if I keep it at or under 4500 rpm.

That doesn't happen often though.

Yes, is a tad rich, but the flames at night from both pipes upon deceleration are a nice touch.

16. Horkn

Horkn

He's the new yamaha fz10. R1 cross plane engine fully adjustable suspension, traction control, abs, even cruise control.
    img.jpg
    It's out in June, just announced today. 12,999.

I'm sure I can fit on this one, unlike the R1. I was cramped on the new r1. There are a couple left over new 2014 r1's on the bigger chassis, for 10k.

But the new fz10 is nowhere near as sexy as the Aprilia tuono e9b7b010-1220x768_banner_model_tuonov41100rr.jpg

bogieb, RCBS and Gasifier like this.
  17. RCBS

RCBS

Was unaware of the FZ10...the ergos look nice. Everyone is going naked these days and I think it's great! The street fighter/naked bike offering just keeps growing.

V4. Never had a chance to ride one. Always wanted to. VFR is near the top of my motorbike bucket list largely due to the V4.

Oh and...
    146_0815_2016_aprilia_tuono_v4_1100_factory_002.jpg

bogieb and Horkn like this.
  18. Horkn

Horkn

Yeah the fz10 just was announced by Yamaha today. As a 2017 model.

I've been mostly naked for all of my sportbike days. Why change from that now? :)
    tlsrightside.jpg

Here's my tls. A pic from say, 2003. That was with the stock 4 piston front brakes. It's got gold 6 piston to tokico's with SS braided lines and a bigger master cylinder, Driven racing riser bars instead of the heli bars it had on that pic. Plus, the biggest thing is that was the original frame from Suzuki. Shortly after that pic, I noticed a hairline crack in the front of the frame by the headstock. Suzuki recalled the frame and gave me a new frame.

wildwest , look in back. There's my Belly dawg. She was such a good looking Brittany .

RCBS, bogieb and wildwest like this.
  19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

OMG, she was the first thing I noticed :emb: Beautiful Belle. Love it, thank you:) She looks similar to mine did when the were adolescents.

bogieb and Horkn like this.
  20. Horkn

Horkn

Lol, I found this pic of me lifting up the TLS right before I took it in to get the frame replaced. lighttls.jpg

Here a different shot of it. From 2005 with a brand new frame.

newframe.jpg

I was running metzeler m1 sportec tires then. When those were new. :)

RCBS and bogieb like this.