In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Seriously considering getting a new motorcycle

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Horkn, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Horkn

Horkn

Ok, I'm a bit conflicted .

I've had my Suzuki TL 1000S since 2001. I love it, but I'm wanting a newer bike. It would be either a sport bike, or a sport tourer.

I prefer V twins, and V fours. If consider a triple. Not really a fan of inline 4 cylinders. The 09+ Yamaha R1 is about the only exception.

I could get a brand new leftover 14 Honda vfr 800 deluxe, or a leftover 2013 Kawasaki ninja 1000. Or there's a leftover 14 r1. These are all new, full warranty bikes. There's also a few leftover Aprilia vfour 1100 tuono R that is calling me. I'm sure I could find a ducati or two I like. Too bad they don't make 1098 street fighters anymore. I love the ducati panigales. But they are kinda pricey. KTM super Duke 1298 would be sweet.

I've never had a new bike . I've had my TL for 15 years . I deserve a new bike.
    The wife is all good with it, since my car is paid off.

I'll be at Road America all weekend, so there's demo rides and bike displays.

I can provide pics if you want .

RCBS, TurboDiesel and eatonpcat like this.
  2. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Pics please

TurboDiesel likes this.
  3. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

I vote first for the vfr. Then tuono. The vfr hasn't been well accepted by the magazines, hence the poor sales. It's still a challenged bike, especially when you can find purchase power in an "ugly" bike.

RCBS likes this.
  4. Horkn

Horkn

The vfr 800 is underpowered , for my tastes at least. That's my issue with it. 95 hp and 60 tq. I'm used to 120 hp and 75 tq at the wheels . The tuono is a big bump up in power. The old 1000 cc V four in the tuono was like 160 hp, and the new 1100 V four Aprilia is like 175 hp.

The ninja 1000 is a great middle ground. 123 rwhp and over 80 tq. I don't like the stock pipes on it, but that's easily fixed.

I need to demo ride a few bikes. The ninja 1k is is stupid cheap. 7k for a leftover 2013 abs model. The leftover tuono is about 13k, maybe a little less. I need to talk with the Aprilia dealer.

Here's the ninja. I'm looking at a black and white one. 122_1010_05_o+2011_kawasaki_ninja_1000+.jpg

The tuono. In blue thank you. 864_ 027 Tuono V4 1100.jpg

There also the BMW s1000rr, but that again it's pricey.

5. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Nice looking bikes

RCBS and Horkn like this.
  6. bogieb

bogieb

Not my kind of bikes / riding - but good luck in figuring out which one you will buy - you will probably want at least one of each of them :cool:

RCBS and Horkn like this.
  7. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Any plans for 2 up touring? I considered the Tuono, but I want to road trip with my wife. And does it have to be new bike?

KTM is hot right now. If you like Vtwins, I'd make sure to test ride one. The SuperDuke R sounds right up your alley. Leftover models can be had at decent prices. I believe I saw them brand new for 14. 180 horses... :thumbs::hair::hair::jaw::bug:

The Honda viffer just doesn't put endless smiles on your face. I've ridden them (not newest gen) and the thing about them is that the work very very well at what they were designed to do. Very comfortable, adequate power yadda yadda.

The inline 4 cylinders... If you're a twin guy (like me) these will end up letting you down eventually. The crossplane R1 may be bad-azz, but the riding position will make you cringe. I recently started working @ a used sportbike shop as a tech. After I'm finished with repairs (from tires to crash damage) I take 'em for a shake down ride. I have to say, all modern sporty's SUCK for ergos! Rear sets perched way up high and your hands as low as your azz. Don't do it!!! Unless you really want that sort of thing, lol.

After buying the Multi, I can help you realize you can have your cake and eat it too! I've owned my Superhawk for close to 10 years and still do. Can't imagine selling it yet. It's been 110% reliable. BUT, after sitting on the MTS and feeling the seating position, I was sold. This thing is so comfortable to ride. Very upright, elbows bent and relaxed, soo much leg room. Oh and there's the 1200cc's of torque. :whistle: While riding the Duc, I feel like I'm in an exotic supercar. Man does it ever attract the looks and comments. :binoculars:

At this point in your life, do something special. Japanese bikes are great and all, but 99% of the time you won't find any soul. You want something that you will lust over every time you get off the bike. Ducati, Aprilia, KTM, :yes::thumbs:

8. bassJAM

bassJAM

Do you do track days? If not I'd be leaning towards a sport-tourer, mostly because the ergo's do suck on sport bikes. My 01 F4i was considered a "comfortable" sport bike, and even on that my limit was 2 hours before I'd need a break. I have an 04 GSXR 750 project bike in the garage, and as soon as it's running it's getting sold. I've ridden it short distances and while the handling is amazing, you just can't take advantage of it on the streets. Even my "old" F4i had no problem running with much newer 600 & 1000cc bikes once the roads got twisty. Skill trumps engineering every time, which is why my next bike will likely be a sport tourer.

bogieb, RCBS, Horkn and 1 other person like this.
  9. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

So true bassJAM!

It's always been 90% rider, 10% bike. :D

Horkn and bassJAM like this.
  10. RCBS

RCBS

Don't get too caught up in HP figures. I have lusted for the Tuono before...but have read it's no fun for street riding...too stiff, and just too much power...it's a race bike. I say not to get too wrapped up in power specs because in the curves, as a second year rider I was having to "wait on" a much more experienced rider on a CBR1000 in front of me. In the straights, his bike will munch my little 675, but in the curves he's slow. I suppose it depends on what type of riding you do though. I am either in the twisties, or heading towards them on my bike. Slabbing sucks.

Of your above suggestions, I like the VFR best. Have you considered a 1050 Speed Triple? It's got a liter sized engine, good ergos and looks great....and the sound. The Kawi Z800 also is looking to be a great scooter. Also, don't forget insurance premiums when shopping. My insurance is $375 year with 250/250 deductibles. Keep an eye on what insurance class the bikes you are shopping are in. Mine is considered a "standard" motorbike keeping me out of the dreaded super sport insurance brackets. The Duke 690 is also something I would look at if I were shopping right now.

For me, a motorcycle is for fun. Fun factor trumps all. Second factor is comfort. Can't have a good 200 mile ride if you aren't comfortable. 200 miles on a Tuono around here would be torture I'm sure....they are appealing though!

Are you keeping the TL?

bogieb and Horkn like this.
  11. RCBS

RCBS

Eventually, I will move to sport tourer also. BMW 1200RT or Triumph Trophy 1200 are on my short list with the Viffer.

12. Horkn

Horkn

Great posts guys. Yeah, I've always been a twin guy, but those V four Aprilias are sweet sounding too.

It doesn't have to be new, but, I'm 41, and never had a new bike. Like we all know, I've earned a new bike. :)

I can get a new 2016 tuono 1100 RR abs spec, for 14.7.

I think I saw that Aprilia was doing demo rides at road America this race weekend for the motoAmerica series ( AMA).

KTMs are nice, but they never made the one I wanted. The tuono' fied rc8r. The super Duke 1290 is ba dass. But I want a little more fairing.

Yes, my wife rides on the back of my tl1000s. We'd like to do more bike trips together.

The tuono has 177 hp. That will do it.

I wouldn't say all Japanese bikes are soulless. My TLS has as much character as any ducati I've ridden.

I've got some thinking to do.

I'll be at the track shortly. More pictures too probably.;)

bogieb likes this.
  13. RCBS

RCBS

I have to admit I'm a bit jealous. It was so fun & exciting shopping for a new motorbike. There are so many cool bikes to choose from out there nowdays. I want one of them all!!

14. Horkn

Horkn

I'm keeping the mighty TLS. It'd be like selling my dog.

Keep in mind the tuono has standard bars, and not clip on like the rsv4r its based upon. It's designed to be more comfortable, a real world all day bike.

I'm 6'4", 250 on a good day, and have yet to even sit on a new tuono. So, we'll see how that goes.

The tuono would be much less passenger friendly, than a multistrada, the ninja 1000, . the super Duke 1290, or most other choices.

I've looked at a few used 1098/1198 ducatis as well.

I have done a few track days, and twisty roads are all around here.

Eh, I've got some thinking to do.

bogieb and RCBS like this.
  15. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

After owning a duc id say run, dont walk away from that idea. Im really surprised the concours 14 isnt on your list. They boogie pretty good.

16. RCBS

RCBS

You & I are very similarly sized. I was very surprised how well I fit on my Street Triple. The Speed Triple is more comfortable yet for me, but I didn't want/need the HP and extra weight (and higher insurance).

If you are keeping the TLS, I'd look for something on a different tangent. Again, don't discount the "small" bikes from your search. Light & nimble attributes are just as compelling as raw power & pure speed. It's always more fun to go fast on a slow bike than it is to go slow on a fast bike. You already have a bike for you & the wife to ride. If you bought a smaller scoot, would she be inclined to ride it on her own? Then You & her could both ride solo, together.

250 Ninja showing the Big boys how its done:

17. RCBS

RCBS

Maintenance?

The Connys are legendary.

18. bassJAM

bassJAM

If you're keeping the TLS, I vote for getting the most sporty bad azz bike you like.

bogieb, Horkn and RCBS like this.
  19. bassJAM

bassJAM

Truer words were never spoken. One day I took my dual sported Honda XR250 (probably 20 hp) out on the group Sunday ride through the twisties. I opted to stay in the back of the pack and lead 2 guys that had never been out before, one was on a GSXR1000 and the other on an R1. I had just as much fun as I did on my F4i, and I still had to stop and wait for the newbs to catch up a few times times. I miss that bike, I need to get it back from my brother.

bogieb, Horkn and RCBS like this.
  20. RCBS

RCBS

"bad azz" is a relative term. If going all out though....I say get an EBR....or a Kawi H2R.